Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Signs of Spring

+5
bobby little
MikeG
my nellie
Neil Jaeger
bonsaisr
9 posters

Go down

No Signs of Spring Empty No Signs of Spring

Post  bonsaisr Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:34 am

We are still covered with snow. Syracuse is the Golden Snowball City of New York State. king There is a snow pile 45 feet high (you go multiply 30 cm x 45) in Oswego, just north of here.
I have been going crazy in the plant room keeping the humidifiers going. Two tropicals that are doing well are Nia and buttonwood. The rest are sulking.
We have been going crazy in the sunporch, turning on the heater at night, turning it off in the morning, then opening the windows. Today for the first time, I put a few of the hardiest trees outdoors, as it will only go down to 26, -3 C, tonight. Tomorrow they will come in again. The big problem for the next month will be keeping some of the trees from breaking dormancy too soon. If they bud out too early, they are susceptible to leaf scorching in the early summer sun.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

No Signs of Spring Empty Re: No Signs of Spring

Post  Neil Jaeger Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:24 am

I know everyone thinks Buffalo gets all the snow but you guys get alot more than us. I think south of Buffalo may come close with all the lake effect snow but i bet you still have us beat. With these two days in the 50F we can finally see grass, and all that's left of the snow is the ugly gray piles at the ends of driveways. But it is suppose to be back in the 20F again by tomarro. On the bright side, i saw a few daffodils poking threw the leaves on the side of my mothers house today Very Happy .

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:26 am

A lucky Mediterranean sends that part of the globe all her sympathy!
Wish you good luck with your trees and all this evacuation back and forth!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:00 pm

I share your woes. Here in Toronto, we still have at least another month untill there are any signs of spring. A lot of snow melted in the last couple days but the mercury is plummeting once again. Forecasted to go down to -15 again this week. Thankfully my few tropics are doing well and keeping me busy.
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 pm

things starting to perk here in glorious Coventry. A hawthorn I've got in the ground is coming into leaf and the rest of my stuff is budding furiously. Mind, I do seem to have a strange little micro climate in my garden.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  tim stubbs Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:25 pm

My larch are all bursting now as are some of the acer's , the lilac and Euonymus alatus are going to be out inthe next couple of days

No Signs of Spring Dscf0012
tim stubbs
tim stubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Alas, we woke up this morning to diving temperatures and 5 inches (12 cm) of snow on my poor trees. affraid My brave husband hustled them back into the porch.
A few weeks ago I cut some branches of fantail willow, in hopes they would cheer me up. But they weren't ready & did nothing. Sleep
All that stands between me and insanity is the miniature rosebush I got for Valentine's Day. At least I have some orchids in bud.

<<i saw a few daffodils poking through the leaves on the side of my mother's house today,>>
What's a daffodil? confused
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Check the temperature in Melbourne, Florida today. We might hit 80 F. Hopefully our winter is over. Over night lows for the next 10 days are in the high 50's F. I think I will bring more tropicals out of the greenhouse on Monday.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:25 pm

Tough time of year in upstate NY...55 F and sunny yesterday, most of the snow melted...18 F this morning with 50 mph wind gusts and falling/blowing snow. This is about the time I really start getting tired of winter.

And yes, it is a constant battle to keep potted trees from breaking dormancy too early. I only have a few in bonsai pots, but do have a bunch growing on in nursery pots. One day the garage is too warm, the next day it's too cold. Lots of plant shuffling...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Been working on my tan and my bonsai all day, but now it's time to get ready to go see Gladys Knight in Biloxi. You gotta love the Coast!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:51 pm

What's a tan? Rolling Eyes
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:56 pm

bonsaisr wrote:What's a tan? Rolling Eyes
Iris

A condition that comes back to haunt you in later life as skin cancer. My annual checkup always finds a few. I had two frozen on Thursday. Not to mention the two that have required surgery in past years. Not fun.

Last edited by Billy M. Rhodes on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add information)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down