Cornus mas. Cascading bonsai...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cornus mas. Cascading bonsai...

Post  Vlad on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:53 am

"Don't try to make your tree look like a bonsai, try to make your bonsai look like a tree" ( John Y, Naka ).  

Right.  But there are not that many decidous cascades around.  At least not in my region.   So taking an IDEAL from the Nature does not make a sense.  Should I quit? No. Why not to make a bonsai look like a bonsai? Here we go...

The way we were... 2013

A year after

Summer 2016

A cherry on the top

I plan some more detailed carving of the deadwood.  And then some more years to get more matured look.  Also I hope to reduce the size of the leaves in the meantime.  Right now I am not sure how it works for this species.

So this is a Cornus that looks like a (pre-)bonsai.   The Cornus that looks like a tree in the Nature  is Vesna (= Spring ).  A Maros Belan's Cornus...

Vlad

Back to top Go down

Re: Cornus mas. Cascading bonsai...

Post  AlainK on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:32 am

Very nice project! cheers

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:35 am

Happy you like it, Alain. Thank you.

Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:21 am

Nice I like it!!!

Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  beer city snake on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:49 pm

Vlad wrote:"Don't try to make your tree look like a bonsai, try to make your bonsai look like a tree" ( John Y, Naka ).  

Right.  But there are not that many decidous cascades around.  At least not in my region.  

very well justified !!! Wink
and well done !

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

By the way, the name is Kevin
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

beer city snake

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:56 pm

...and the fruit on the trees add a lot.

I wish you an even better crop next year. Your tree might become a European milestone soon, don't spoil it Cool

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:50 pm

Mike, Kevin, Alain: thank you for your comments.   Happy that you like the cascade.  

@Alain: Re fruits - you are absolutely on the spot.  The red and a bit later dark red colour of the berries makes a great match with the dark green and a bit shiny leaves.  One of the best domestic species once it comes to fruiting in my opinion.  And the yellow blossoms on "naked" = leafless branches in the early spring look great too.  And on the top of that there are quite funny flower buds.  

May I ask for opinions regarding the raised root?  

The raised root is the result of the adjustment of the trunk to get better angle of the cascading branch.   It looks like a strange creature eating an earthworm.   I plan to cut off the  worm once the new roots are well established in the new position.  And then also some ajustment on the top section of the remaining part.

Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 pm

I think I would keep it. Removing might cause some people to think of reverse taper. I mean keep the root not the worm.

Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:24 am

OK. Thank you Mike.

Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:20 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top