Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai story from 1960 to 2010

5 posters

Go down

Bonsai story from 1960 to 2010 Empty Bonsai story from 1960 to 2010

Post  bontailo Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:59 pm

" Bonsai Journey" was published . 21x30 cm, 224 full colour page book that describe my bonsai story from 1960 to 2010 .
More question about " Bonsai Journey" Please feel free to connect with me. bonsailo@mail2000.com.tw
Bonsai story from 1960 to 2010 Ae11
Bonsai story from 1960 to 2010 P40_4110
Bonsai story from 1960 to 2010 P24_2510
bontailo
bontailo

Back to top Go down

Bonsai story from 1960 to 2010 Empty Re: Bonsai story from 1960 to 2010

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Any chance there is an English version?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  bontailo Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Chinese only. Anyway , easily to understand by date & picture.
bontailo
bontailo

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:20 pm

bontailo wrote:Chinese only. Anyway , easily to understand by date & picture.

That's a real shame. Your work is so beautiful and inspirational. Just looking at your pictures is like smelling a wonderful feast being cooked but not being allowed to taste it.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  bontailo Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:09 am

bontailo
bontailo

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:03 am

Sorry, but that review doesn't do much for your case. It doesn't tell me one thing that I didn't already know. I already have stacks of Japanese bonsai magazines that I can't read - and I understand the Showa dates they use! They don't have Latin names but I do read katakana and hiragana so at least I know what's in the picture, and recognize some kanji. You have so much to offer, and I want to know more than dates and Latin names. I love those Taiwanese pots like the one the pistachio is in, and would love to know about the potters. I guess all we can do is hope you'll share your trees like you did the crape myrtle.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Russell,

Unlike some Japanese publications, this book is extremely well documented with progressional photographs, focal encircling and attention to detail. For instance and using the examples included within this post, Mr. Lo explains the development of Ficus microcarpa bonsai, using a model giant tree (Lao Shu) from Cheng Kung University. By following the progressional pictures, you are able to identify techniques like: 1) trunk reduction; 2) branch alteration; 3) how to achieve taper and balance between the upper and lower portions; 4) progressional brannch development, etc.

Since the sequence pf photos is well documented, even if you have no knowledge of Chinese, it is easy to follow. Also, this book is designed in such a fashion, that the pictorials do the talking.

Concerning the pot you reffer to, it is of Chinese manufacture.

I strongly recommend that you give this publication an opportunity. I assure you that you will find the experience humbling and extremely educational.

Also, should you have any inquiries concerning this publication, feel free to ask. I am positive that further explanations will be forthcoming.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks Jose Luis.

I hope that my comments were (not) taken as an insult, that certainly was not my intent. There are a lot of books out there by self important people with questionable skill levels and talent that I could read from cover to cover if I wanted to waste the time. Then there is the rare occasion when we are offered a book by a man with ENORMOUS talent and sensitivity, who actually has something relevant to say and teach - but we can only look at pictures. Surly you can understand the frustration. By the way, your critique and explanation of the book was far better than the one in the link - and I respect your opinion too!

R

Last edited by JimLewis on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarifying (in parens) <g>)
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:49 pm

I might note that MANY books lose a lot in the translation . . . this may be better. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Russell,

Do not worry!!! Mr. Lo just wishes to spread his knowledge and approach to bonsai art. It is his wish, with the help of everyone, to improove the quality of world bonsai. If we learn from each other and move towards a common goal, we will be able to raise the standard.

On another note, Mr. Lo's pistachio tree was developed from a layered collected specimen. Before winning the Japan Airlines Bonsai Competition, this tree won the top award at the First Taiwan Bonsai Creators Exhibition in 1998. Also, Mr. Lo has been able to develop one of the best varieties in pistachio bonsai, with compact foliage and beautiful red coloration.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:49 pm

The pistachio, along with that ficus just take my breath away! Before, you mentioned the pistachio's pot as Chinese, is that mainland China or is it Taiwanese? You've shown us pictures from the exhibits in Taiwan, the pots are amazing. Please tell more about them.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Russell,

[justify]This pot was manufactured in Yixing, China. The Chinese have a large array of glazes that rarely make it into the U.S. or European market. I guess it has to do with the fact that general taste goes for a somber appearance.

The colorful pots you like are made in China to meet Taiwanese specifications. Sometimes and in order to control the market, they pay the tree owners money to display trees in these pots. If the tree happens to get an award, the seller will be able to earn a profit.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down