Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First steps to a spruce cascade

+19
kimo
Oktuberfest
Floris
hawthorn
Fore
dick benbow
jason_mazzy
Leo Schordje
peter keane
coh
miguelpc
my nellie
stephen clarke
Pavel Slovák
Jonny D
Todd Ellis
giomach
Tom Benda
MerschelMarco
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

First steps to a spruce cascade - Page 2 Empty Re: First steps to a spruce cascade

Post  Fore Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Marco, how do you manage the buds? Do you cut them all off each spring/winter to keep the growth close to the tree, or what exactly?

Love the cascade btw Wink Cool tree.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

First steps to a spruce cascade - Page 2 Empty Re: First steps to a spruce cascade

Post  jason_mazzy Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:34 am

How was the pot made? Could you fire it in a pit kiln and harden it up?

How's the tree looking these days?
jason_mazzy
jason_mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  hawthorn Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:31 pm

With spruce tendancy to bounce back after wireing and strong verticle growth habit, have you had issues keeping this tree in the cascade style? Looks nice.

hawthorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Floris Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:33 am

That looks very dramatic, very nice!

Floris

Back to top Go down

Post  MerschelMarco Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Fore wrote:Marco, how do you manage the buds?  Do you cut them all off each spring/winter to keep the growth close to the tree, or what exactly?

"Fore", I let the tree grow free in spring and feed him well. So my intention is to get the tree very strong an healthy. When I cut the new growth in summer, the tree makes a lot of new buds back in the old wood. So I can get it more compact within a few years.

"Jason_mazzy", the pot is made of concrete, unfortunately a not frost resistent one, so no chance to harden it up.

"Hawthorn" the apical dominance of a spruce is the reason why I created this upright treetop, also its a cascade. Not only for practical reasons but also the tree should express some typical characteristics of a spruce. And a cascade with an only downward bended crown is not typical for a spruce.

Regards,
Marco

MerschelMarco

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Thank You Marco!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

First steps to a spruce cascade - Page 2 Empty Good Post!

Post  Oktuberfest Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:52 pm

So rarely see people working on cascades
Oktuberfest
Oktuberfest

Back to top Go down

Post  kimo Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:37 am

First steps to a spruce cascade - Page 2 <a href=First steps to a spruce cascade - Page 2 Fichte11" />[/quote]

maybe just the lower foliage pads only.

kimo

MaryBracken likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:59 pm

Actually a very nice a believable cascade. Nicely done.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarbesh Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 am

Hi Marco, this is beautiful and realistic,
I want to grow a bonsai in cascade style, your advice
for me,on styling the trunk and anything else? I would feel like cleared from the misty ideas, if you did.

Thank you and Regards,
Sarbesh.

Sarbesh

Back to top Go down

First steps to a spruce cascade - Page 2 Empty tree / pot combination

Post  breck Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:26 pm

fabulous tree pot combination the tree is snuggled in beautifuly just like is would be in a mountain side

breck

Back to top Go down

First steps to a spruce cascade - Page 2 Empty Hmmmm....

Post  Michigander Sat May 13, 2023 2:52 pm

I'm not crazy about the style or the species, but I have to pay homage to the patience and skill that took this tree from a death sentence to a first class bonsai. I'm jealous! thumbs up
Michigander
Michigander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2