Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Baobab style realistic?

5 posters

Go down

Is the Baobab style realistic? Empty Is the Baobab style realistic?

Post  Ryan Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Would it be "acceptable" to train a tree to look like a baobab? For example, this is a small Ficus Microcarpa I've been working with. Bought it cheap since it was nearly dead. The picture is a bit old, the tree looks much better now:

Is the Baobab style realistic? Kk

If I covered it up at the red line it would look like a miniature baobab. Would this be possible or "allowed" in bonsai guidelines? For as you can see, this tree has awful reverse taper. And a baobab style would really be the only way to go with it. I thought about using a tourniquet to grow new roots at that red line as well, but then re-considered it. Do baobab even have surface roots?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Is the Baobab style realistic? Empty Re: Is the Baobab style realistic?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Ryan,

you can often use Google image search to help educate yourself.

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4TSHB_en___TT342&q=baobab&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=897&bih=361

Hope that helps.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Ryan,

you can often use Google image search to help educate yourself.

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4TSHB_en___TT342&q=baobab&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=897&bih=361

Hope that helps.
Khaimraj

Well yes, I knew that, but I also know that there are people from where the Baobab grows naturally and I was hoping they could give me better advice from what they've seen.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:58 am

Hi Ryan

Why don't you layer it at that point?

Richard

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 am

Hi Ryan,

Quick reply to your question. Yes you can style it as a Baobab.

And now a few more Q & A's. Do most people (especially the purists) do it? Maybe not. Is it as per the conventional bonsai styling wisdom?? No it is not. Should that stop you from following your heart?? Absolutely not.

What you have is a great starter material for styling as per the Baobab style. You are bang on the dot there. Go ahead and do something unique. There will always be followers and also those who scoff and scorn at uniqueness, but few innovators.... As Nike would say 'JUST DO IT" .... All the best...

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 am

RichLewis wrote:Hi Ryan

Why don't you layer it at that point?

Richard

Thanks Richard! I thought about layering here, but wasn't sure which method would be best. I had thought about it for quite a while though.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:13 am

Ravi Kiran wrote:Hi Ryan,

Quick reply to your question. Yes you can style it as a Baobab.

And now a few more Q & A's. Do most people (especially the purists) do it? Maybe not. Is it as per the conventional bonsai styling wisdom?? No it is not. Should that stop you from following your heart?? Absolutely not.

What you have is a great starter material for styling as per the Baobab style. You are bang on the dot there. Go ahead and do something unique. There will always be followers and also those who scoff and scorn at uniqueness, but few innovators.... As Nike would say 'JUST DO IT" .... All the best...

Ravi

Thanks Ravi!

I think I will do it. But first I need to do something about that reverse taper. I could layer it as Richard said, or I suppose I could just cover it up.....

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 pm

I airlayered an identical sized ficus from a big box store as well, and for the same reason. It now has about 50 perfect radial roots coming off of it and is in a VERY shallow wide pot. Wait till its growing strong this summer or else you may just get a couple roots. The other option would be to split the trunk vertically in several places and stick a small rock within, eventually the area will fill in. The airlayer would be a better choice however.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:36 pm

bucknbonsai wrote:I airlayered an identical sized ficus from a big box store as well, and for the same reason. It now has about 50 perfect radial roots coming off of it and is in a VERY shallow wide pot. Wait till its growing strong this summer or else you may just get a couple roots. The other option would be to split the trunk vertically in several places and stick a small rock within, eventually the area will fill in. The airlayer would be a better choice however.

Thank you!

I feel like I could do the air layer successfully right now. I've got a great set up indoors in a fish tank which works wonders. I chopped 2 ficus last month and they are already bouncing back with tons of new growth due to being inside the tank. Humidity is high and light is bright. I never thought about doing an air layer without actually chopping the tree off, but I may do that. I thought about just cutting a ring around the trunk, maybe dusting the cutting with rooting hormone, then burying that section under soil.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down