Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

questions about baobab trees

2 posters

Go down

questions about baobab trees Empty questions about baobab trees

Post  adamgreen Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:35 am

I have some questions about baobab trees. I ordered some Adansonia grandidieri and Adansonia rubrostipa on ebay. I got five of each. I messed up on the first four rubrostipa and the first two grandidieri seeds. Luckly the last rubrostipa just germinated today.

My questions are:

1. How do you make the trees short and fat?
I want to grow them into bonsai.
2. Will the trees ever go into dormancy if it stays in my bedroom all the time?
3. Is fish fertilizer, composted cow manure, and bone meal a good organic diet for them?

adamgreen

Back to top Go down

questions about baobab trees Empty Baobab

Post  lennard Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:48 pm

adamgreen wrote:
My questions are:

1. How do you make the trees short and fat?
I want to grow them into bonsai.
2. Will the trees ever go into dormancy if it stays in my bedroom all the time?
3. Is fish fertilizer, composted cow manure, and bone meal a good organic diet for them?

Hi Adam.

I do have the two species you are growing and they are just as slow as Adonsonia digitata when it comes to fattening up.

It can be done but it will take you many years to have them look like their natural counterparts - especially if you grow them inside.

It seems that dormancy is caused by low temperatures(and not only daylight lenght) - if you want them to go dormant you will have to subject them to lower temperatures.

To be honest, rather grow them into any other style you like, and not necessarily into a Baobab's natural form - they are really slow to fatten up.

If possible give them as much sunlight possible.

If they are actively growing you can use any fertilizer at recommended strength.

Lennard

lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

questions about baobab trees Empty Re: questions about baobab trees

Post  adamgreen Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:40 pm

How thick should I let them get before I chop them back?

adamgreen

Back to top Go down

questions about baobab trees Empty Cut back

Post  lennard Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 pm

adamgreen wrote:How thick should I let them get before I chop them back?

At least to thumb thickness - and do not cut back lower than the last visible bud. Most Baobab thicken the area below the seed leaves much quicker than the actual trunk - if you chop below the seed leaves, you will not get any buds going.

Also do remember that you will get very little thickening of the trunk in your conditions once you have chopped it back or by doing any root work too soon.

Lennard

lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

questions about baobab trees Empty Re: questions about baobab trees

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down