Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friend in need in SAN FRAN

+4
bisjoe
bonsaistud
JimLewis
Joe Hatfield
8 posters

Go down

Friend in need in SAN FRAN Empty Friend in need in SAN FRAN

Post  Joe Hatfield Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:53 am

A friend of min just moved to San Francisco and is having a load of trouble finding a place to stay. Any ideas?
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Friend in need in SAN FRAN Empty Re: Friend in need in SAN FRAN

Post  JimLewis Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:40 pm

SF is a tough place. Suggest he look ACROSS the bay -- east, not north.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:21 am

Shoula checked that out before leaving for SF...
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  bisjoe Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:29 am

I was born in SF and lived 40 years in the Bay Area, coming from anywhere else in the country the housing prices are a shock, despite the huge drop due to the economy. here in the Seattle area 60% of the people are from another state
and most from CA where we got twice the house for less money. If your friend works in SF the BART train shoots across the bay pretty fast, have him look in the San Leandro/Hayward/Fremont area.

bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:56 am

Did he/she wear some flowers in their hair? It may help.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:33 am

Oh dear, showing your age there Russell. Wink

If Joe's friend is the same age as him, he/she may not get that allusion. Sadly there are a number of us of a certain vintage who are now singing or humming the tune.

Oh how I yearn for those good old days when song titles had bits in brackets in the titles. Rolling Eyes
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  lawrence leclaire Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:56 am

Craigslist.

With all the foreclosures out here, a lot people are moving into apartments causing a mini-shortage. That sucks for us renters because you would hope that the economic downturn would drive our rent down. Not a chance.

My apartment complex normally has several vacancies but I learned today that out of 100's of apartments, there are only two empties (4 bedrooms = $$$$).

Oh, if your friend has serious bucks... there are lots of vacant apartments here
http://www.ThePresidioLandmark.com/landmark_apartments.html

What they won't tell you on the website...
"Rents start at $2,125 for a junior 1-bedroom at the Landmark and go all the way up to $4,325 for a 2 bedroom. You’ll have to shell out an additional $150 a month to park your car in the adjoining lot."

lawrence leclaire

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:14 pm

fiona wrote:Oh dear, showing your age there Russell. Wink

If Joe's friend is the same age as him, he/she may not get that allusion. Sadly there are a number of us of a certain vintage who are now singing or humming the tune.

Oh how I yearn for those good old days when song titles had bits in brackets in the titles. Rolling Eyes

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's actually before my time too, but they used to run it on MTV and VH1 back in the 80's and 90's when these channels actually played music videos.

Hopefully Joe's friend will meet some gentle people there.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Ha! I can remember the Hippies!

Unfortunately (or otherwise, depending on your point of view), I can remember the Beatniks, too. In fact, I was living in the area (San Jose State College -- now University) then, and was kinda one of them -- singing in the folk clubs with the funny names -- though they were on the way out by then.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Why is your friend going to San Francisco anyway, Joe? Is it work-related?

Or did he/she leave their heart there?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:31 pm

fiona wrote:Why is your friend going to San Francisco anyway, Joe? Is it work-related?

Or did he/she leave their heart there?

Wow! I thought I was pushing it!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Friend in need in SAN FRAN Empty san fran

Post  stephen clarke Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:35 pm

thank god his friend never went to New York there are more songs about there,sorry just a strange vibration

stephen clarke

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks Everyone. I know I'm a bit slow these days on giving replys and comments. The little one we had back in July and a new job are really kicking my Arse. I haven't really been able to work on my trees. Which is acceptable for this time of year as usual. But, I find myself yearning just to go tilt some pots and coming up short for time in simple tasks like that. Smile I also find myself unable to type in rational sentence structure and spelling !

Fiona, He needed a change. I believe. He searches for programmer work and housing to make a fresh start in life. Also, to escape the harshness of the east coast Smile This side of the country is a bit different in regard to attitude and lifestyle. I myself find it tiring and trying at times.

I believe Heather and I fell in love with that whole area, just over a year ago now, and yearn to visit again.
-Joe
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  bisjoe Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:17 pm

JimLewis wrote:Ha! I can remember the Hippies!

Unfortunately (or otherwise, depending on your point of view), I can remember the Beatniks, too. In fact, I was living in the area (San Jose State College -- now University) then, and was kinda one of them -- singing in the folk clubs with the funny names -- though they were on the way out by then.
Good grief, Jim, you have certainly gotten around.

I almost went to graduate school there, instead ended up at Sacramento State. OK, I will admit that in High School I hung out some down at Haight-Ashbury and Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley. Not exactly a hippie myself, but did spend some time with them. The hippies in their VW bus are about the only people that regularly picked up hitchhikers. Some
of my favorites to visit with were in the redwoods above Napa on Mt. Veeder, even took my wife there before we were married.

bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Good grief, Jim, you have certainly gotten around

Yup. Peripatetic life. 14 schools before graduating from High School (in Tokyo - 1954). College at Sofia University (Tokyo), Arizona State College (now university), San Jose State College (now university), University of Hawaii, and at Duke University. Lived in 11 states (one territory), several of them more than once, and 3 countries. Been to all states and a dozen other countries.

Whew! I'm out of breath.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:15 am

So Jim, just how many places is that you have been run out of exactly? Laughing Mad

Just joshing.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Well, I guess, one. Sofia University in Tokyo. I was just out of high school (17 yrs old) and entered the school to take 2 classes -- German and Algebra. Did OK in Algebra, but the professor taught the German class in (mostly) Japanese -- which I spoke (kinda) by then (after 3 years in Japan) but not fluently enough, apparently. Mind you, this was in 1954-5 -- still pretty close to the end of the war.

I started again at Arizona State -- with no mention of Sofia . . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down