Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

palmtree bonsai

5 posters

Go down

palmtree bonsai Empty palmtree bonsai

Post  Alaa Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:11 pm

what is the mechanism used for making palmtree bonsai?

Alaa

Back to top Go down

palmtree bonsai Empty Re: palmtree bonsai

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Palm Trees are monocots, that is they only have one growth point. If you damage that bud 99% of the time the plant is dead. (If you prune a palm it will die.) (You can remove dead leaves.) You can keep them in a small pot and not fertilize them much, and then they will stay small.

BUT, they are questionable as bonsai.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

palmtree bonsai Empty palmtree bonsai

Post  Robert J. Baran Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Three alternatives:

Sago palm (Cycas revoluta), a slow-growing, long-time acceptable specimen for bonsai.

Raphis palm (Raphis spp.), a slow-growing, somewhat long-time acceptable specimen for bonsai. Some would consider this more of an accent plant. Use the dwarf varieties.

Norfolk Island pine (Araucaria heterophylla): remove all branches except for the top ones and you have the appearance of a mini-palm tree. Some would consider the result more of an accent plant or to be used for a tropical island saikei composition. Not a true pine.
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

palmtree bonsai Empty Palm tree bonsai

Post  bonsaisr Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:33 pm

As others have pointed out, you can't make a true bonsai out of a palm tree. I have a pygmy date palm, Phoenix roebelenii, that is called a bonsai by courtesy. They even allow it in the local shows. tongue
If you do a search on this forum, you will find where I posted it.
It meets some of the bonsai criteria. I want it to look like a date palm, Phoenix dactylifera, which grows 100 feet (30 meters) tall. The pygmy date palm grows about 10 feet tall. My palm tree has been "in training" for almost 11 years. The trunk has grown about 2 inches (about 5 cm.) and is now 5 inches tall. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about the length of the fronds, which are over a foot long, although smaller than the ones on full-sized trees in the shopping malls.
The tree is in a 7-inch pot (18 cm.). I have to repot it every year and saw off the bottom of the root ball. It is in coarse bonsai mix.
What kind of palm were you planning to use?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:37 pm

Sago palm isn't a palm either, it is a Cycad. One of a very interesting group of prehistoric plants that have endured.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down