Old Larch -"The piss arch"-

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old Larch -"The piss arch"-

Post  MerschelMarco on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:28 pm

This European Larch is in my possession for 4 years now. I planted it into a wooden box, where it stayed for three years. Nothing was done except from cutting back the branches just a little bit every year to get the tree more compact.

On the first photo from 2008 the Larch is quite expansive.

In spring 2010 the tree was set into this primitive pot, that fits well I think (Photo 2, 3). The tree stayed very healthy so I decided to make a first styling.

First I thought about a classic cascade with branches showing to only one side, but then I just let the three almost as it was.
A tree fighting against poor environmental conditions. It never succeeded in builing a crown, everything is pressed down to the ground.

Photo 5 shows the tree how I like to have it in maybe 2 years.

Enclosed a picture from above and the twisted branch on the backside that builds the top.

Height: 45 cm
Width: 70 cm

Best regards,
Marco

Last edited by MerschelMarco on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

MerschelMarco

Back to top Go down

different position

Post  Tony on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Marco, this looks a great piece of material, did you not consider planting the tree in a different position from the establishing box position?

The tree tends to look like a piss arc

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Old Larch -first styling-

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:59 pm

What a lovely turn of phrase Tony.

Great tree Merschel. I like it a lot.

Back to top Go down

Re: Old Larch -"The piss arch"-

Post  Neil Jaeger on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:05 pm

Yes, a wonderful old looking tree. love the bark. I really need to get a larch. Does anybody know of a place in the USA to get good larch? Almost any kind will do, i just love the colours they turn.

Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  MerschelMarco on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Tony,"The piss arch" what a worthy name for the tree, so proud, powerful and full of life Cool

The nebari is the best with this position. Also the roots a very thick till to the rim of the pot, so it`s difficult to change the position.

Regards,
Marco

MerschelMarco

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:39 pm

"piss arc" I wish I could claim the phrase but its not from me...it's in common use with artists throughout Europe.

This tree has great potential, to determine the optimum position of a tree solely by the nebari is NOT the complete answer, if this was a deciduous tree then OK the nebari is a major factor... but this tree I feel has way more going for it.

I understand that the position of BIG roots is a problem, and ... I believe that your solution is OK, if it were mine I would work towards a different solution... each to their own. Suspect

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Nice but i cant help but wonder what it would look like from the other side using the old gnarly branch to make the tree with and thereby losing the arc,nice problem to have though one of the better larches

Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  MerschelMarco on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Tony,
I am not resistant to advice, that`s my solution for this tree at the moment. It means not, that it`s the best solution of course.

I look forward to your ideas, if you like to.

Best regards,
Marco

MerschelMarco

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi Marco,
nice larch!!!!!
I could not see just how that gnarly part look, but a more compact image like this would be very impressive and more natural/believable looking.

"piss arc" comes from "pis boog" (Dutch)! Guess who would come up with something like that?
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Marco, I would not really make a suggestion until I saw the tree for real... however Hans offering is a good one Cool

Hans van Meer. wrote:"piss arc" comes from "pis boog" (Dutch)! Guess who would come up with something like that?.

Hi Hans... it was Teunis Jan Klein that first told me this in reference to one of my trees Sad way way back in 1995 Rolling Eyes

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Hans van Meer. wrote:Hi Marco,
nice larch!!!!!
I could not see just how that gnarly part look, but a more compact image like this would be very impressive and more natural/believable looking.

"piss arc" comes from "pis boog" (Dutch)! Guess who would come up with something like that?
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hi Hans,this was what i meant but had to rush out to do a 3000metre swim after a 12 hr day in work,maybe from the other side though so the movement of the old gnarly branch makes it come alive

Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:24 pm

pissy.. Basketball

dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  杰遨-jie on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:32 pm

nice larch!

杰遨-jie

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:36 pm

tony wrote:Hi Marco, I would not really make a suggestion until I saw the tree for real... however Hans offering is a good one Cool

Hans van Meer. wrote:"piss arc" comes from "pis boog" (Dutch)! Guess who would come up with something like that?.

Hi Hans... it was Teunis Jan Klein that first told me this in reference to one of my trees Sad way way back in 1995 Rolling Eyes

Hi Tony,
well I will not claim it! Smile But it would be just about the wright time! I know that I used it during my first demo ever in early 1995, on that two trunk chamacyparis on that moon shaped slab from William, you know the tree. Teunis was there that day, so he might have picked it up there. I have it on film and it is a funny part of that tape. I named a branch that is styled as a bow, for lake of a better word: a "pisboog" branch, right after we discussed the "Honden drol top" (dog shit top) fenomena! In those days it was in fashion to make a curling top on a straight trunk tree! Hens the name "dog shit top"! I believe that Gijs Meboer came up with that one? I later used the "pisboog" term in the UK as "P bow" branch. My knowledge of your language was not that good than! Not that it is now, but I manage. Smile But who ever came up with it: it covers the load very well, dont you think?!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:38 am

MerschelMarco wrote:

I don't see anything pissy or offensive about this. I see a beautiful tree.

R

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum