Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have experience with Spruce pine (Pinus glabra)

2 posters

Go down

Anyone have experience with Spruce pine (Pinus glabra) Empty Anyone have experience with Spruce pine (Pinus glabra)

Post  fadde Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:30 am

I have a couple of Spruce pine in pots that are getting close to needing root trimming and i read somewhere they were very sensitive. Anyone grow this species? thanks

fadde

Back to top Go down

Anyone have experience with Spruce pine (Pinus glabra) Empty Re: Anyone have experience with Spruce pine (Pinus glabra)

Post  JimLewis Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Spruce pine have a very limited range in the SE USA. You find isolated trees mixed in with hardwoods in low country and coastal forests; only occasionally do you find them in with other pines. They grow in clayey soils, but in fairly moist habitats. I've only tried one -- in my early days with bonsai -- and had no luck with it. I put that down to inexperience, however.

Based on where it is found, I can think of no reason for it to be any more root sensitive than any other pine. Someone in the Tallahassee (Fla) Bonsai Society had a very successful, large spruce pine bonsai that was, last I heard, doing well.

Are they in bonsai pots? If so, trimming is all they'll need; they've already had the major work done. If they're in nursery or other larger pots, you always want to be cautious on your first major root pruning. I'd aim for a larger-than-optimal pot for their first repotting.

Good luck, and I'd like to see pictures. With their smooth, gray bark and relatively short needles, these could be an unusual native bonsai.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down