Pinus radiata (Monterey Pine)?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pinus radiata (Monterey Pine)?

Post  jow on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:18 am

Pinus radiata or Monterey Pine is quite a popular species in Australia by means of availability. It has been planted extensively as a timber crop since the 1960's and as a result there are many escapees that find their way into bonsai backyards.

I am making this post to see if anyone on the other side of the pond grow them. I have been growing them for a number of years (see one such tree here) and have a couple of issues with them:

1. Needle length / need reduction techniques (long and twisted needles.)

2. Back budding. (none on older wood)

I tend to think that there must be techniques to achieve the above two points. I have noticed some years on some trees i get short neat needles (particularly on old trees that need a repot) and when used as xmas trees they will bud from stumps when the top of the tree is cut off at harvesting time.

Surely these behaviours can be forced to happen via some type of technique or using the right seasonal timing.

So if anyone out there grows them i would love to hear from you and about any techniques and or seasonal tasks you might do to grow this species in bonsai culture.

Thanks,

Joe.

jow

Back to top Go down

Re: Pinus radiata (Monterey Pine)?

Post  gtuthill on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 am

I am in New Zealand and radiata are very common here too for the same reason.

I have found the same issues and observations as you have mentioned although i only have a couple.

I plan to collect a bunch of small ones in the spring so i can play around with some different techniques to see what can be done with them Smile

gtuthill

Back to top Go down

Post  jow on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:51 am

Thanks for the reply.

If you do get some answers, be sure to let me know what they are.

Thanks.

jow

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:42 am

Very interesting Jow, lovely trees and worthy of the effort I think.

A major plantation tree here too but very rarely used for bonsai.
I have a couple lined up for collection next year and I would like to do some root cutting insitu this year to give them a better chance of survival.
Any tips on collecting would be welcome.

Cheers

Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:01 pm

I would sure like to see examples of your trees in photos. They are native to the Monterey Penninsula in California just south of San Francisco. They are very attractive trees but they do have very long needles. I know of no one here that has one as a bonsai.

Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  gtuthill on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 am

I have had success collecting Radiata in autumn and late winter/early spring. They have been fairly young trees and in easily collected locations. I don't think radiate would be much different from any other pine in terms of collecting and after care.

Their needles are a bit long and very twisty when young. I have one that is about 30years old and the needles are nice and straight, nice colour, but still a bit long. This tree also is very unpredictable when it comes to back budding etc. The bark is very nice on radiata.

I probably wouldn't bother with more collected radiata, unless I found a really interesting one. Most I have found are not very good. I need to look harder Smile I have some growing from seed however that might have a chance in the long run to be nice.

gtuthill

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:26 am

Still much to be learned I think, maybe not the best material but we don't get good yamadori pines down south (only plantation trees), so these are pretty much our default best option.
The trees I have lined up for collection are fairly large so the needle length should be a little more credible. Interestingly, they have been back-budding frantically after being cut back hard, I assume this is because they are still uncollected with a strong root structure.

Here is an Australian Bonsai site with some interesting specimens:
http://nichigobonsai.com/tag/radiata/

Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  DjTommy on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:13 am

Hi,
I dont really know the species but i would assume to use similar techniques like:

For shorter needles: increase foliage, normally more foliage creates smalles leaves for all trees,
Dont feed in the growing season
For backbudding: start feeding when the needles are hardened, cut the strongest shoots end of summer
Balance the foliage and feed till end off fall. Also feed early spring

I dont know if you can do candlecutting on this

Grtz
Tommy

DjTommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:23 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: