Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai mushrooms

2 posters

Go down

Bonsai mushrooms Empty Bonsai mushrooms

Post  Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Discovered a few mushrooms today in the pot of my Rhododendron lysolepsis.
They do no harm, just adds some autumn mood to the image. They will probably wither in a few days, and with a little luck show up next autumn again.

Regards
Morten Albek

Bonsai mushrooms 010

Bonsai mushrooms 016

Back to top Go down

Bonsai mushrooms Empty Bonsai mushrooms

Post  Robert J. Baran Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:18 am

Morten,

Be advised that per J.J. Rein's 1889 work The Industries of Japan, pg. 79:

[A particular nonedible tree-fungus] bears the name of Reishi, and is a dry, hard, and really worthless sort of hood-mushroom, in appearance related to the Polyporus lucidus, Fries. or P. amboinensis of Farther India and the Malay Archipelago. Reishi is the size of our champignon (A. campestris), and has a stalk which grows occasionally 15 cm. long, and is dark brown like the hood. If it perchance grows to be a curiosity on the stem of an old dwarf-tree in a gardener's pot or tub, the tree is straightaway taxed [sic] from one to two yen (4 to 8 shillings) higher, and looked upon as a sign of luck, Medetai, and an occasion for congratulation. Reishi counts, too, as a good omen in general, and is used to decorate the Tokonoma or slightly raised projection of a room.

Your 'shrooms don't seem to be Reishi, but Congratulations anyway.

Robert J. Baran
Bonsai Researcher and Historian
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Bonsai mushrooms Empty Re: Bonsai mushrooms

Post  Sam Ogranaja Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Hands down, that's my favorite tree of yours Morten. What a transformation from the original plant. Great eye and great work. I love your website and blog.

Keep it up please
Have a great week
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Bonsai mushrooms Empty Re: Bonsai mushrooms

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down