Bonsai mushrooms

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bonsai mushrooms

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Discovered a few mushrooms today in the pot of my Rhododendron lysolepsis.
They do no harm, just adds some autumn mood to the image. They will probably wither in a few days, and with a little luck show up next autumn again.

Regards
Morten Albek

Back to top Go down

Bonsai mushrooms

Post  Robert J. Baran on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:18 am

Morten,

Be advised that per J.J. Rein's 1889 work The Industries of Japan, pg. 79:

[A particular nonedible tree-fungus] bears the name of Reishi, and is a dry, hard, and really worthless sort of hood-mushroom, in appearance related to the Polyporus lucidus, Fries. or P. amboinensis of Farther India and the Malay Archipelago. Reishi is the size of our champignon (A. campestris), and has a stalk which grows occasionally 15 cm. long, and is dark brown like the hood. If it perchance grows to be a curiosity on the stem of an old dwarf-tree in a gardener's pot or tub, the tree is straightaway taxed [sic] from one to two yen (4 to 8 shillings) higher, and looked upon as a sign of luck, Medetai, and an occasion for congratulation. Reishi counts, too, as a good omen in general, and is used to decorate the Tokonoma or slightly raised projection of a room.

Your 'shrooms don't seem to be Reishi, but Congratulations anyway.

Robert J. Baran
Bonsai Researcher and Historian

Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Re: Bonsai mushrooms

Post  Sam Ogranaja on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Hands down, that's my favorite tree of yours Morten. What a transformation from the original plant. Great eye and great work. I love your website and blog.

Keep it up please
Have a great week
Sam

Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Re: Bonsai mushrooms

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:09 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum