Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN".

+23
Chris Cochrane
bonsaistud
Lone
stavros
Ravi Kiran
Harleyrider
Peter E.
Pavel Slovák
anttal63
my nellie
Tollster
alex e
ogi uyehara
Stone Monkey
sulrich
Andrei Darusenkov
John Quinn
Todd Ellis
Rob Kempinski
Neil Jaeger
Jim Doiron
ogie
Hans van Meer.
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". Empty LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN".

Post  Hans van Meer. Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi everybody,
a while back I wrote on my Bonsai blog about the lost off two of my best, almost show ready very old Mugo Pines ( When your art dies on you!). Well a week after I posted it, my blog and all the other AoB blogs disappeared for a long time into tin air, to reappear a week ago, but with out all my pictures and drawings. I just checked again and you know what, my blog is vanished again, so now I am not able to link you to that post! SIGH!!
Well any way, I have waited as long as possible, to avoid the dreaded task of removing the dead Pine named the "Swan" from her pot. But yesterday was planed to be the day to remove the two dead Pines from my small garden! Yesterday also was one of the first Sunny mornings this mount and when I approached the bench in the back of my garden on witch both trees stand, the soft morning Sun rays just reached the dead foliage of the "Swan" making it almost glow like dark amber! She was still so beautiful and I fell overwhelmed with the feeling that it is such a shame that she and I never had the change to show the world just how special she had become!
So I cleaned the pot and oiled it for her. Lifted her to the other side of my garden on to a table, should not have don that with my back problems, and waited and hoped that the sky's would still be clear when the sun would hit that only spot were I have room enough to take photo's. Well the light was just perfect for one final photo shoot of my beloved "Swan".
And they turned out just stunning! So that made me wanted to show them to you and share this sad side of being a Bonsai artist as well with my friends here on IBC!
I hope you enjoy these last shots of my "Swan"?!

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". 21-9-210

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". 21-9-211

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". 21-9-212

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". 21-9-213

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". 21-9-214

Bonsai is so much more than just Art to me. Bonsai is very very personal to me! It is not one off my better years. She will be missed!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". Empty LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN".

Post  Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:57 pm

What a sad tale Hans. I feel for you. What a beautiful tree and still so in death. Admitting and showing our failures shows great strength.

Back to top Go down

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". Empty Re: LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN".

Post  ogie Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:12 pm

hello hans,
i know how you feel exactly,but remember there is always a purpose behind everything,im sure it will be a better one,a more nicer one perharps! keep on enjoying GOD's creation
best wishes,
alex bounce
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". Empty Re: LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN".

Post  Jim Doiron Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Terrible loss, I can't imagine. The minor losses I have had this year don't even come close to this and it took me a bit t get over those. I think these beautiful photos are a great final moment. thanks for sharing them.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 pm

What wonderful pictures to remember such a beautiful tree. Thanks for posting.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Nice tree, too bad about its demise, but we all have had that experience.

This might sound crazy but how about spraying the tree with matte polyurethane and keeping it as a low maintenance permanent indoor bonsai. The polyurethane might help stick the needles to the branches. I preserved one of my favorite trees a Bald Cypress called "White Lightning" that died several years ago. Since it's dead I keep it indoors and get to enjoy its defoliated branch structure year round and it now requires only minimal maintenance (dusting once in a while). I also took a nice small dead azalea over rock and used bondo and wire and paper flowers to make an permanently indoor bonsai that my wife displays in an art niche. I did a how to on this on IBC several years ago.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:37 am

Hans, I am sorry for your loss. She is beautiful. Have you considered to use her beautiful deadwood for a Tanuki project?
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:12 am

What a loss...sorry! I have lost a couple of favorite trees this past year or two as well. Sad
(P.S. Maybe you could still sell it on eBay using a B&W pic!) Just kidding... Cool

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". Bwpine10
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 am

Sorry to hear that, Hans! I also lost a couple of well extablished promising trees this summer due to this crazy heat. I am with Todd about potential tanuki project with this material!

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  sulrich Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:55 am

Hi,

What an incredibly sad view! I really wanted to thank you for posting these pictures, I'm sure it takes a lot of courage, but it also tremendously helps others who are not that long into bonsai to put their own lost trees into perspective ...

FWIW, your blog seems to be back online, but unfortunately still without the pictures; I hope that these will be recovered at some point by the admins:
http://blogs.knowledgeofbonsai.org/hans_van_meer/
I'm also very sorry to hear about your recurring back problems, please keep it up, your work and how you talk and write about it has always been a great inspiration!

Best regards,
Stefan
sulrich
sulrich

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30 am

Hans

So so sad but yet so beautiful to capture the final moment of this truly fantastic tree. Thanks for showing us and look after that back Wink

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  ogi uyehara Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:39 am

pale pale Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ogi uyehara
ogi uyehara

Back to top Go down

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". Empty "The Swan"

Post  alex e Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:12 am

Hi Hans, as they say in Scotland what a scunner, stunning tree! I to
was going to suggest keeping it for a Tanuki the movement and deadwood [no pun intended ]
are awesome, on a lighter note a "red pine" in the true sense of the word eh! lol!
is there any clue as to the reason it has gone to the giant bonsai place in the sky:?:

best regards Alex e Bagpiper
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 pm

my sincere condolence to you Hans.
beautifully stunning even in her death.

how do plan to end this story Hans?...bury her six feet under and let her rejoined mother nature once again?
....or to cremate her...with barbecue on top? just kidding Hans, i just want to cheer you up. death is part of life any way. what a tragic loss.

regards,
jun Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tollster Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Hans, your passion for bonsai has never been in doubt, but your openess is to be commended.
I feel your loss.
Next time you are in the UK get TT to let me know. I have something for you.
In spirit!
Steve Tolley

Tollster

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Have seen her pictures and story on your blog, Hans.
Could never imagine I would see the above posted pictures of the swan's end....
Keep up with the rest of your treasured trees and take care of yourself!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:08 pm

So sorry mate... Sad
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi Hans

Unfortunately, it sometimes happens. I am sorry. Sad

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Hans, i know you are strong and will recover this loss, so, how about looking forward and using the beautiful trunk for a "tanuki". lol!

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:04 pm

It makes my losses this year seem insignificant by comparison, Hans. What beautiful images she makes though, even in death. It's a pity you can't find a way to preserve her exactly as she is now (other than in a photo). She would make a fine and interesting exhibit at any show.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Tollster wrote:Hans, your passion for bonsai has never been in doubt, but your openess is to be commended.
I feel your loss.
Next time you are in the UK get TT to let me know. I have something for you.
In spirit!
Steve Tolley

Hi Steve,
thanks for your kind words! And as soon as I am able to travel again, I will make planes to stay at Dan the man's place for some R&R. I will let you know when and if that happens. You made me curious now?! Smile
Cheers Steve!
Hans.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks Guy's for your kind words! I am glad that I had this opportunity to show her for the last time to my Bonsai friends around the world, I think she deserved that.
Yesterday I took her out of the pot and checked all the roots for signs of root rot or bugs. There were no signs of both! So what happened to this and my other 600+ years old Mugo Uncinata that stood next to her and also did around the same time as she did? They stood on the same place, were the had grown happily for the last 3 seasons. It was not a particularly warm Summer or cold winter eather?! So nothing was different from other years! And I am proud to say that I hardly ever lost any of my trees before these two died. And I had never had much trouble with or lost any more or less established Mugo or sylvestris Pines! And all my other Pines are doing just fine!
So I have come to the simple conclusion that the reason why the died is that I repotted them for the very first time at the end of August instead of in the beginning of the growing season, just before their buds start to swell, like I always did up to this point!
They were just weakened by this late repotting and the just did not grow any new roots! And later when the next growing season was starting, the buds started to swell a little and than stopt growing completely!
So My conclusion is, that I will never take a change again on repotting any of my trees in August! Because one Pine dying is possible, but two healthy trees dying in the same way after a late repotting, cant be a coincidence in my opinion!

If you guy's dont mind and if the weather allows it, I will make some pictures off the other old Pine that died and post them here as a tribute to it's lost beauty!
Takes again for listening!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:55 am

Dear Hans,

It is with mixed reactions that I read your post. Mixed because of the apparent loss of such a beautiful tree and the humility with which you have admitted your mistake. You are such an inspiration because of your beautiful trees and yet to say you shouldn't have done this takes great courage. My sincere and heartfelt condolences for the loss of the tree and my complements for your humility and courage. Here is my tribute for your departed tree

SWANSONG FOR A SWAN

She lay still on the calm waters
Her wings folded and her eyes closed
As green turned into amber
Tears swelled in our eyes
As her spirit soared to a new home
We see the things she’s left behind
The perfection of her frail frame
And the memories of the years gone by

Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Ravi Kiran on Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Missed a few words)
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:13 am

Hi Hans,

It takes lots of courage to expose our failures to the public. It takes even more courage to admit our (possible??the repotting time) mistakes.
Nothing can bring back these trees unfortunately, but at least you can be grateful that you had the opportunity to work on them and lift them to an exhibition-ready state. MOst of us are just dreaming (or working very hard) trying to achieve that.
I have lost a myrtle (15 cm base diametre) this summer which was styled and even though the other 4 that sit right next to this one are thriving, this one just deteriorated and died on me.....Sometimes you can't really understand why....

As the advertisement of a well known whiskey says: Keep Walking Very Happy

Stavros

Last edited by stavros on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Ravi Kiran wrote:Dear Hans,

It is with mixed reactions that I read your post. Mixed because of the apparent loss of such a beautiful tree and the humility with which you have admitted your mistake. You are such an inspiration because of your beautiful trees and yet to say you shouldn't have done this takes great courage. My sincere and heartfelt condolences for the loss of the tree and my complements for your humility and courage. Here is my tribute for your departed tree

SWANSONG FOR A SWAN

She lay still on the calm waters
Her wings folded and her eyes closed
As green turned into amber
Tears swelled in our eyes
As her spirit soared to a new home
We see the things she’s left behind
The perfection of her frail frame
And the memories of the years gone by

Crying or Very sad

Dear Ravi,
thank you so very much for that beautiful poem! I will place it underneed these last picture when I post them on to my website.
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next