Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai from my Teacher

+3
Rob Kempinski
Billy M. Rhodes
AndyRutledge
7 posters

Go down

Bonsai from my Teacher Empty Bonsai from my Teacher

Post  AndyRutledge Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:10 am

I recently visited my teacher, Nick Lenz, and took home a few bonsai and some developing material. The trees (below) are all between 25" and 30" tall. These are all Nick's work; I have done nothing but remove some of the downward-pointing foliage from the shimpaku pictured below.

I apologize for the very poor quality of the photos and the setting, but I hope you enjoy them. I am certainly enjoying the trees.

Bonsai from my Teacher Moyoshimpaku
Juniperus chinensis. This juniper was grown from a cutting taken from Wm. Valavanis' yatsubusa stock in 1970. Nick grew it in the ground for 30 years and put into a container around 2000.

Bonsai from my Teacher Honeysuckle
Lonicera. This honeysuckle was taken from the yard of one of Nick's friends. This is but half of the plant that was collected. The trunk is 8" wide and the root base is 14" wide. Note that Nick has carved a face into the shari of the trunk, giving this bonsai the appearance of a walking tree-man, complete with arms, horns, and feet.

Bonsai from my Teacher Jvirginiana
Juniperus virginiana. Nick collected this red cedar from the Sunderland cliffs in 1995. It is still very early in its development and still reaching to find its form. It is quite old, but not yet a mature bonsai.
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Bonsai from my Teacher Empty Bonsai from my Teacher

Post  Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:12 am

Very good material Andy. Can't really see the honeysuckle trunk though. Is the Red Cedar a Juniper? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Bonsai from my Teacher Empty Re: Bonsai from my Teacher

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:37 am

The Southern Red Cedar (the heart wood is red and smells of cedar) is Juniperus virginiana named for Elizabeth I, The Virgin Queen.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:55 am

Nice trees. Nick has a good eye.

PSWhere have you been? Hadn't heard much from you. Where are you in Dallas?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:56 am

Andy, many thanks and congratulations! This is quite a treat to see Nick's trees!

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyRutledge Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks for your kind replies.
@Will: I apologize for the poor photo setting. You're right, the honeysuckle trunk does disappear into the background a bit. My bad. And thanks to Billy Rhodes for addressing the cedar/juniper question so well; though this is an Eastern red cedar (that, yes Will, is a juniper).

@Rob: Thanks, and it's nice to find you here. I hope you've been well. I've not been participating in forums and such for a few years, but I'm still in the Dallas area. My bonsai collection is smallish now, but has been augmented by the 6 trees I brought home from Nick's. Spring chores will be a bit more intensive next year!

@Andrei: Thanks! Even though Nick has let go of many of his works, spending time in his gardens and enjoying his bonsai and less-developed material is a treat indeed. I had a very nice few days there and will treasure the memories.

Kind regards,
Andy
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Bonsai from my Teacher Empty A few more bonsai from Nick

Post  AndyRutledge Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Here are a few more of the bonsai I brought home from my visit with Nick Lenz.

Bonsai from my Teacher Abuergerianum_sm
Acer buergerianum. This maple was taken as raw material from Jerry Stowell in 1997 and then grown in the ground. It has been in a container since 2007. The root base is about 13" (and I intend to have fun expanding it w/root grafts. *smile*)

Bonsai from my Teacher Moyopsylvestris_sm
Pinus sylvestris. This Scots pine was originally from Musser Forests in 1973 and was grown in the ground. It was put into a container in 2000.

I will enjoy working with these guys.

Kind regards,
Andy

AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Looks very good Andy. And nice suroundings too I believe. Interesting Nick Lenz peaces.

Regards
Morten Albek

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks Andy! Really nice trees to keep developing and refining. Nick is definitely one of the most interesting and original bonsai artists in the US. BTW I really enjoy reading your articles on bonsai very much! Wink
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyRutledge Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks MACH5 (??). I'm also glad you've enjoyed my articles. Sadly, most of them have disappeared from the web. Some are still available at the Bonsai Journal (and I'll be working to expand this site).

Kind regards,
Andy
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Post  irene_b Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:04 pm

AndyRutledge wrote:Thanks MACH5 (??). I'm also glad you've enjoyed my articles. Sadly, most of them have disappeared from the web. Some are still available at the Bonsai Journal (and I'll be working to expand this site).

Kind regards,
Andy

Glad to know you will be expanding on it!!

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Yes me too!! Very Happy
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:24 am

Hi Andy
How great to be affiliated with Nick. I've never met him. Wish I had. One of the reasons his work is important is because it's HIS work. So much of what we see is work that is "politically correct".
If Nick is your teacher, I must say you are in good hands.

Best Regards
Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyRutledge Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:15 am

Thanks for your nice words about my teacher, Mike. Nick is a wonderful artist and I'm very lucky to be his friend and student.

Kind regards,
Andy
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down