Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with...

3 posters

Go down

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with... Empty Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with...

Post  AlainK Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Bonsoir,

I had the opportunity to remove a few lonicera from a hedge that its owner wanted to get rid of.

It was "now or never", and the soil was like concrete : no rain in that part of France for more than two weeks. Even after watering the base with a hose, it was very hard : I broke the handle of the pick I used when trying to remove the eleventh one, but anyway, I couldn't bring back more to my place, some 400 km away (about 245 miles, more or less) in the car-boot.

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with... Loni.roch_100811a

That was on August 6th, the weather was very hot and dry (about 30° Celsius), and I had to wrap them with a "blanket" of jute and hemp fibers because I knew I had to take some time to prepare a place where I could put them back into the ground: when back home, I had to check my e-mails, have a look at the forums (it's soooo time-consuming!), unpack, check my trees, buy some food for my 18-yr-old son (he's read Jack Kerouac's 'On the road' and 'Brave New World' while hitchiking throughout the beautiful roads of France, with his digeridoo Laughing - My! I wish I were 18 again... Cool

Well, to cut a long story short, back home, before pulling out some coriander, and putting some hyssop into plastic pots :

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with... Loni.roch_100811c

3 days later, back to Mother Earth :

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with... Loni.roch_100811d

Three weeks later, all of them bud back, even those that had no leaves left :

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with... Loni.roch_100828a

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with... Loni.roch_100828b

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with... Loni.roch_100828d

Fun, fun, fun ahead... Cool
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with... Empty Re: Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with...

Post  Rob Kempinski Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:36 pm

While hard work, it appears the work has just started for you. Have fun.

Bonne chance.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with... Empty Re: Hedjadori: more Lonicera nitida to play with...

Post  AlainK Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:
Bonne chance.

Thanks for your "encouragements".

I was lucky, now I will try not to rely on "chance" ("le hasard"), but work, as you suggest, to lead things to what I see in the distance...

Smile

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:41 am

Its a great feeling to get them in the ground! The pyracantha I collected (about the time you collected these) are doing well... in the heat of the Summer! Shoots are still elongating.
The trunks on your lonicera are nice. They must be tough trees! Your growing bed looks good!
Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:16 am

Todd Ellis wrote: (...) Your growing bed looks good!
Salut, Todd

And did you see how healthy are the tomatoes in the background? Cool

Don't know about where you live, but in France, it was an excellent year for tomatoes: very little disease symptoms, very tasty fruit. I love tomatoes : with "feta", olive oil, balsamic vinegar and parsley, or cut into slices in a pan with crushed garlic, thyme and onion and fried eggs on top (with a lid, the eggs are white, it's nice-looking), or with a minced meat filling (60% pork, 40% beef, parsley and garlic), hmmmm... Not to mention the tomato sauce I make and put in the freezer for pizzas in the winter What a Face

And tomorrow, I'm making falafel, with yogurt sauce and... diced tomatoes Very Happy
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down