Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive!

+2
JimLewis
Todd Ellis
6 posters

Go down

Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Empty Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive!

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:08 am

My wife and I took drive to Humpback Rock along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. I discovered a group of stunted pines (Pitch Pines) which were growing on top of a rocky outcrop. They looked to be 5 - 12 feet tall. Some had thick trunks up to 15 inches in diameter. Here are some pictures taken by my wife.

Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Img_0910

Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Img_0911

Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Img_1010

Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Img_1011

And here is a pine (Pitch) at Raven's Roost. Approx 15 feet tall, trunk at the base of the rock is over 2 feet in diameter. Classic roots disappear into the rocks, and are exposed and worn with lots of bleached wood. Stunning and reverent; a
proud presence!
Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Img_1012

If you ever get a chance to take this drive... awesome vistas of our beloved mountains...the oldest mountain chain Dance in the world!
Salut, Todd

Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Empty Re: Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive!

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:17 pm

awesome vistas of our beloved mountains...the oldest mountain chain Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! 369513 in the world!

Well, close (kinda) but no cigar . . . (From Wikipedia because my old historical geology book isn't on line to be copied):

"At over 1 billion years of age, the Blue Ridge mountains are among the
oldest mountains in the United States and sometimes mistaken to be the
oldest mountains in the world (in fact they are only about one third of
the age of South Africa's Barberton greenstone belt. At 3.6 billion years of age the Barberton greenstone belt are generally accepted to be the oldest mountains on Earth)."

I wholheartedly second Todd's praise of our ancient hills, though. The Blue Ridge Parkway (one of our most-used National Parks) follows the ridge line from well into Virginia to north Georgia some 469 miles. Parts of it are often closed in the winter, but it may be one of he most heavily traveled roads in the world in the fall, when the trees turn color.

You all could visit the Caroina Bonsai Expo Oct. 9-10 at the North Carolina Arboretum, just off the Parkway and stay for a while afterward and see the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Parkway for yourselves. Some trees should be starting to turn at that time.

There's a map of the entire parkway here: http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ See the center panel.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Oh how I remember the L&H song...Ohhhhhh, the blue ridge mountains of Virginia....on the trail of the lonesome Pine.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Hello Todd, The parkway holds some of my favorite places to visit and gather inspiration. Linville Gorge and the mountains along its path have always been among my very favorites. I was very disappointed to see that drought and fire have done in the majority of the amazing Pitch (3 needles) and Table Mtn (2 needles) pines in that area.

Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Flagged-15

I will second Jim's invitation for folks to discover the Parkway and the Carolina Bonsai Expo. It is only 2 months away.

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:01 am

JimLewis wrote: You all could visit the Carolina Bonsai Expo Oct. 9-10 at the North Carolina Arboretum, just off the Parkway and stay for a while afterward and see the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Parkway for yourselves.
Oh how I wish! This one is top of my list of shows to visit when I have saved up the hard-earned sufficiently. Unlikely this year as it is my Dad's 90th birthday on the 9th October. Mebbe next year.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:49 am

I want one of those trees Laughing
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:52 am

90 years old. That is awesome Fiona. Did you get your horticulture know-how from him?
Your avatar is a great candid picture!.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 am

While you are viewing the wonderful scenery, keep at least one eye on the road for cyclists! Cool
Here are a few pics I took on a ride last fall...
Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Brp10
Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Brp210
Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Drive! Brp310
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down