Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria

+5
MACH5
Seth Ellwood
Todd Ellis
Storm
landerloos
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Empty For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria

Post  landerloos Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:14 pm

This is the Wisteria I found, it was with roots up in the air for 1,5 weeks affraid

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wister10

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wister11

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wister12

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wister13

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wister14

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wister15

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wister16

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wister17

landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Empty Re: For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria

Post  Storm Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Nice find. Incredible that it survived!
You dont think the box is too small?
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Empty Re: For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria

Post  landerloos Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Storm wrote:Nice find. Incredible that it survived!
You dont think the box is too small?
A small box is better than a big one, dont ask me why, Tony can explain I think.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:15 pm

[quote="landerloos"]This is the Wisteria I found, it was with roots up in the air for 1,5 weeks affraid

Hi Peter, very nice wisteria and it looks like its thriving! The nebari looks like it will be very strong in the soil! I noticed the bloom in one picture. I'm not an expert, but I think something is "going on" with wisterias this year. I have a landscape wisteria, being shaped in a tree form. I pruned the running vines at least four times this year. After each time, the tree puts out at least 15-20 blooms.

Last year it only had about 30 blooms first the Spring flush. This year I counted over one hundred. I spent over an hour pulling seed pods before they dropped. Very Happy Thanks for the honorable mention in your post! thumbs up Todd

The landscape tree wisteria in our front yard:
wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wyster10

Last edited by Todd Ellis on Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled...)
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:46 pm

I did have a lott of flowers aswell in the one I have in the garden, though I find it very strange it blooms in leaf, now as you did see in the picture it blooms once again.
By the way the one in the box flowered aswell Wink

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:57 pm

This will make a nice tree in a short time Good save and find. I also had a nice wisteria and can give you some advice on the cutting .If you decide to remove one of the two trunks expect some die back . This is what happened to me and I was able to turn it in to a convincing feature it seems to die back to the core of the tree and not want to do much healing over.This is of course my personal experience and not the norm necessarily.Good to see you posting again.Seth

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Looks like it's doing great! I love Wisterias although I have none Crying or Very sad Good job and nice save ThumbsUp
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:42 pm

I love wisterias! It is very common around here to have one trained as a tree form in people's yards. Is it common in other places as well? Anyway, I keep hoping for the chance to claim one that's been dug up for my very own. Yours is beautiful! I do have one wisteria that has a trunk of decent diameter, but it was rotten when I got it. So now the trunk is a short stump with lots of smaller whips growing out from it. It will be a long time before it looks good again.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Small box is good for many reasons but the primary one is that you have better control over the root system, a few roots in a large container is NOT good, the tree can move to a larger one when it is established...

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:29 pm

I also have a landscape wisteria which is a very healthy and strong plant 4-5 years old. But it has never bloomed and I feel so sorry seeing your wisterias in bloom and reading that they gave new flowers after prunning....
Do you know anything that can be of help concerning this issue?
Thank you very much!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:33 pm

my nellie wrote:I also have a landscape wisteria which is a very healthy and strong plant 4-5 years old. But it has never bloomed and I feel so sorry seeing your wisterias in bloom and reading that they gave new flowers after prunning....
Do you know anything that can be of help concerning this issue?
Thank you very much!

As bonsai Wisteria is know to, have to suffer to get flowers

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Thank you Peter.
Is it true that there are some wisterias that do not ever bloom?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Peter i.e.

This one is the work of Johnny Eslykke, showed this year as decoration at an exhibition. I know he keeps it dry to get the flowers.

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Dbs-2010

Regards
Morten Albek

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Here's what I do to get mine to bloom:

Keep them severely root bound. In late summer and through the fall, sit them in water at least half-way up the pot sides. If you bring them inside for the winter, keep them in water then, too.

It took 10 years before the first one here bloomed. It was 5-6 years for the other.

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Wister10

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Bloomi10

Landerloos . . . I'd cut all of the low sucker branches coming out of the trunk on yours. Since they've started there, I suspect you will always have to battle these low growths on the tree, but the sooner you get them gone, the better. I'd also top this one in the near future. It takes a while for these to develop usable branches for bonsai and this one is putting a lot of energy into branches where you will never want them to be. These plants are real weeds. They can get away from you if you don't keep your eye on 'em.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:38 pm

I've been told that it usually takes 8-10 years for these to bloom.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:53 am

Mine bloomed 1 year after collection however the trunk on this thing was 8" in diameter and was put in to a 1' by 2' cement mixing tub.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:28 am

Tony wrote:Small box is good for many reasons but the primary one is that you have better control over the root system, a few roots in a large container is NOT good, the tree can move to a larger one when it is established...

Thank you Tony, I thought that was the reason but was not sure of it.
I always plant my finds in small woodenboxes or pots, and it works.
In the beginning with bonsai I potted everyting in as big as a pot I could find, many trees past away.

bumblebee, yes from seed it takes at least that amount of time, if ever, some of them will never flower or just have some flowers, thats why they graft them on other stock.

Peter

landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:15 am

albek wrote:Hi Peter i.e.

This one is the work of Johnny Eslykke, showed this year as decoration at an exhibition. I know he keeps it dry to get the flowers.

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Dbs-2010

Regards
Morten Albek

Nice one Morten, I did see it at our last convention, smelled great to flower
Mine is bigger though, much bigger tongue Wink , I think its not grafted, the one in my garden is and hase a ugly clump rootbase.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:31 am

Went to measure the rootbase, its 43cm measuret around the base.

Now I only have to figure out where to chop after next winter.
Ideas and virts. welcome

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:31 am

Here is a picture of a wisteria belonging to John Lee of the Phoenix Bonsai Group, Dorset, UK.
Bought for him by his wife in 1972 and converted to a bonsai in1993, it is about 30 inches tall and over 6 inches in diameter. It has been shown at the Chelsea Flower show where the overall display won a Gold medal.

wisteria - For Todd Ellis (and ofcourse all other IBC friends) my Wisteria Johns_10

It has had air numerous layers taken from it one of which was displayed by me at the Wessex show this year as reported earlier on IBC.

The picture is an old one and the tree has further developed, when in flower the scent of the flowers is overpowering.

Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:22 am

Anyone an idea where to cut the damn thing Question Like it is now its hase to trunks, one hase to go.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:55 am

Based on the pics provided it looks like the larger of the 2 trunks has a large scar on it but might have a better nebari showing so I might lean that direction.However the smaller one would show more drastic taper and better movement .It is hard to say without being there to see it in person.if the smaller one has a good nebari I would keep it I am not one for a lot of dead wood on trees nor am I fond of uros but that is my personal taste.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:14 am

Seth Ellwood wrote:I am not one for a lot of dead wood on trees nor am I fond of uros but that is my personal taste.

I think I have to do some carving on it, the big one no taper, the little one I think is to small for the nebari.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:43 pm

The little one would provide drastic taper and under normal cirucmstances the sumo style would be the usual design.But for wisteria I don't think that style would be appropriate due to the growth habits.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Seth Ellwood wrote:The little one would provide drastic taper and under normal cirucmstances the sumo style would be the usual design.But for wisteria I don't think that style would be appropriate due to the growth habits.

Your wright however I am not convinced...... yet Wink

Is there really nobody else that will come with some input Shocked
Cant take it to burrs, its to big and heavy like hell.

Kind regards
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next