Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wiring Rule of Thumb?

2 posters

Go down

Wiring Rule of Thumb? Empty Wiring Rule of Thumb?

Post  Jay Gaydosh Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:37 pm

I have a Juniperus procumbens in training at my sister-in-laws in TX (actually, I started the tree for her). I'm a 13 hour drive away. A couple of weeks ago,I was able to do a little pruning and wiring of the 3 cascading branches.

I can't visit her for several months, so I can't visually check on the tree like I would my own in the back yard.

I'm trying to figure an appropriate amount of time before I should ask her to remove the wires for the maximum chance of the branches hardening in their positions but not developing growth marks from the wire.

Thanks,

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Wiring Rule of Thumb? Empty Wiring Rule of Thumb?

Post  Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Hello Jay. Junipers tend to be ok for a year or more. A lot depends on size of pot,feeding and strength of species. She might want to send you a digital photo once in a while.

Back to top Go down

Wiring Rule of Thumb? Empty Re: Wiring Rule of Thumb?

Post  Jay Gaydosh Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks, Will. If it is good for that long, I should be able to get to it long before then.

I will have to post photos. I took a large Jun. p. (nursery stock) left one upward branch with 3 to 5 sub-branches to for upward movement, and kept 3 longer cascading branches.

As I picture it, this would be growing in a rock formation jutting out away from the wall face, open to 3 sides. I may reduce the number at some time in the future, but for now, she likes it and I think it looks good as a start. In the next year or two, I hope to mind a nice cascade pot and stand for it, for now it is in a round ceramic pot, to provide it some weight and stability. The recent wiring allowed me to elevate the cascading branches away from the pot edge and then bring the cascading branches in, closer to the pot instead of poking out away from the pot.

Photos are currently in the cell phone and I'm having difficulty getting them to down load.

I also have photos of the Ft. Worth, Texas Botanical Gardens and the downtown Dallas area of the Book Depository, Grassy Knoll and location where John F. Kennedy was assassinated.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:07 am

Jay,
I have had wire severely biting into the branches on a procumbens by the end of the season. As will says though, depends on strength, feeding and as well as how well you wired. Mine received lots of water, lots of sun and feed. Another thing to consider is that in Texas her growing season is a great deal longer than yours in Illinois.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks, Neil. Hopefully none of these differences will be of concern. I should be heading to Teas in the next 3 months, so, with any luck I can do the wire removal.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down