Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bougainvillea flowers

3 posters

Go down

Bougainvillea flowers Empty Bougainvillea flowers

Post  Peteburg Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:08 am

I want to start by saying as a new member of this forum, I am amazed by the quality
of the trees I've seen over the last month and the dedication of the members to support each other. All the photo's and helpful comments, it's great.
I've seen some beatiful pics of flowering Bougainvillea, flowering Bonsai are my favorites, Whats the trick to getting them to flower? I am getting lots of new green growth on my recently purchased plant but i'm getting impatient for the flowers.
Peter.

Peteburg

Back to top Go down

Bougainvillea flowers Empty Re: Bougainvillea flowers

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:45 am

One trick to flowering trees is "don't have zone envy." You are from BC. I was just there last week and saw many flowering trees that thrive in your area. Grow them and you'll have the best luck.

If you insist on bougies, keep them warm, lot and lots of light and dry them out with a dose of bougain fertilizer. You can also prune hard and then let the shoots extend.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Bougainvillea flowers Empty Thank you

Post  Peteburg Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:25 am

Thanks Rob;
I just have the one because I've always liked them. I will mostly stick to the native trees and Satsuki's , thanks.

Peteburg

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:28 pm

The best way I've found to make bougainvillea bloom is to fertilize rarely, water half as much as you think you should, and give them FULL sun.

Torture works.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down