Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn".

+33
Rick36
Pavel Slovák
Jesse
bonsai monkey
Bob Pressler
David Noya
abcd
Jesse McMahon
wabashene
Harleyrider
Mitch Thomas
Dan Barton
landerloos
Seth Ellwood
Storm
ShohinDude
AdamG
alonsou
will baddeley
Lee Brindley
David Carvalho
Russell Coker
martin kolacia
Mark Cooper
fiona
my nellie
Rui Marques
Peter E.
Victrinia Ridgeway
Ian Young
Jeremy
Mike Jones
Hans van Meer.
37 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Empty Re: Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn".

Post  Hans van Meer. Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:56 am

Rui Marques wrote:Hi Hans,

Do you have some progression photos of this http://hans-van-meer.ofbonsai.org/2011/05/25/two-hawthorns-and-a-x-mas-tree/ small haw?

I have a straight haw and i want to have some ideas on i to make a shohin.

Thanks.

Hi Rui,
I am scanning my old pictures of that Hawthorn to make a story for my website. This will take some time because there are a lot of pictures to go trough! I found this picture from 02-2003. It was made when I discovered this lonely poor "Dutch" Hawthorn. It was the only tree still standing in a large area that had slowly turned in to a sand dune. To make things worse, it was also used as a scratching post by the large highland bulls that graze in this forest. They had broken off most of it's branches and pushed so hard against the poor thing that it lost it's grip on the sand and could actually be moved around!

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Img_0010

Below: 2004. Because there was no movement or taper in the tree and because the interesting section was way up in the top, I decided to try to make a small Bonsai out of it! But why waste a perfectly old top, when it can become a nice bonsai on it's own! So I air layered the top section and after a year there were enough roots to safely separate it. It was planted in a trainings pot and the next year when it was fully recovered I gave it to a bonsai friend!

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Img_0011

Below: And this is the same tree a few mounts ago. It still needs a lot of work! But it has come far and it is going in the right direction!

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 205-2010

Rui, I will post a link here as soon as I have posted the whole story of this little tree on to my website!

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Empty Re: Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn".

Post  Hans van Meer. Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Hans van Meer. wrote:
Jesse McMahon wrote:thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures and an awesome story, hans! glad you could save such a beautiful tree from an untimely death. i especially like the picture from late 2006 with the heineken in the pot...my kind of scale reference. Smile

best of luck with the future of this tree!
Jesse

Thanks Jesse! And I know the importance of proper scale reference! Otherwise things can get very confusing! Thake this picture that I made a few days ago. Now is this Weigelia a very small shohin, or is it a very large lightener?! Very Happy

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Wigeli10

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

And for the good order: It was a very large lightener! Very Happy The original height of this Shohin sized Weigelia is 20 cm/8 inch.
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:16 am

Hi Hans

The Weigelia is a cute little tree, I look forward to see it in a pot...how small is the hawthorene abowe planned to be?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:52 am

Hans, your story of the "sleeping" hawthorn is inspirational. I too have a hawthorn that I thought was dead after our terrible winter. It put out a few buds in April but has done nothing since. I am inspired to keep hold of it and see if it coms back from the dead next year. I'll call it the lazarus tree if it does.

Thanks for still being here on the forum - you never fail to come up with something brilliant.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse McMahon Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:04 pm

that Weigela is awesome! what cultivar is it? i have a pink princess that i acquired at a nursery last year. it's taking its infant steps in the world of bonsai this year, and that picture is incredibly inspirational. certainly gives you the wrong idea about the lighter.. Laughing
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Hans

The Weigelia is a cute little tree, I look forward to see it in a pot...how small is the hawthorene abowe planned to be?

Kind regards Yvonne

Thanks Yvone!, This Hawthorn now is measuring 30 cm in height (top of foliage) and I dont think it will become much higher in the future. The large deadwood section that is sticking out of the foliage will be styled in the near future when the leaves have fallen off! I think that I will try to make it look like the former top has been thorn off in a storm or by a realy big and heavy bird! Very Happy Maybe some hollowing out, who knows? But that deadwood will be a importand part in the future design of this little tree!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:50 pm

fiona wrote:Hans, your story of the "sleeping" hawthorn is inspirational. I too have a hawthorn that I thought was dead after our terrible winter. It put out a few buds in April but has done nothing since. I am inspired to keep hold of it and see if it coms back from the dead next year. I'll call it the lazarus tree if it does.

Thanks for still being here on the forum - you never fail to come up with something brilliant.

Hi Fiona,
and thanks for your kind words!
Yes keep your tree a bid longer under your care, because you never know and you can always trow it away later on! The only thing that I realy have monitored during her sleeping period, was that the soil did not get to wed for to long. During the 3 mounts of rain that we had this Summer, her soil was mostly covered with a plastic bin bag to keep out the water!
Yes Lazarus would be a good name indeed! But Lazarus as in, he or she is Lazarus, in Dutch means that some one is realy realy drunk! And that would be a bid rude towards my tree! And if I wanted to be rude, I would have named the tree "my mother in law"! Because she also comes back when you the least expect it! Wink
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:09 am

Hans van Meer. wrote:
Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Hans

Kind regards Yvonne

Thanks Yvone!, This Hawthorn now is measuring 30 cm in height (top of foliage) and I dont think it will become much higher in the future. The large deadwood section that is sticking out of the foliage will be styled in the near future when the leaves have fallen off! I think that I will try to make it look like the former top has been thorn off in a storm or by a realy big and heavy bird! Very Happy Maybe some hollowing out, who knows? But that deadwood will be a importand part in the future design of this little tree!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Hi Hans

This is a update, I will look forward to...... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:47 pm

Jesse McMahon wrote:that Weigela is awesome! what cultivar is it? i have a pink princess that i acquired at a nursery last year. it's taking its infant steps in the world of bonsai this year, and that picture is incredibly inspirational. certainly gives you the wrong idea about the lighter.. Laughing

Thanks Jesse.
This cultivar is Weigelia "florida". I bought it in late 2009.
Below: Front and back.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Weigel10

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Weigel11

Below: It was just about the right size for me to lift and carry inside, so that I had something to do during the long recovery from my second back operation! Smile So for give me for the way that I am dressed, I was not expecting any company! Wink

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Weigel12

Below: Only have a picture from the back side. But it gives you a impression just how much was removed in this first styling.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Weigel13

Below: And this is how the tree looked after it's second styling in early February this year.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Weigel14

They are amazingly fast growing and I be that the branch structure will be much better after this season! And the leave size, my first worry, is after repeatedly cutting back in to the new growth, half the size as last years! That large wound will probably be worked on at the end of this season. But I first want to found out if this species closes large wounds fast or not at all?!
Good luck with yours!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Empty Rewired my small Hawthorn!

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi everybody,
yesterday I rewired my little Hawthorn and for the last time I placed all the main branches into their desired position. This time it was almost imposible to apply the thicker wire with out damaging the sleeping buds and the smaller ramification. And after the work was finished both my hands look like they have been wrestling a angry hedgehog! Next year when there will be even more smaller branches, it will be undo able to get my large hands and thick fingers in there to wire, so every thick branch needed to be in place after this styling! I am realy pleased with this little Hawthorn's progression and I hope that with two more years to work on the finer ramification, it will be just ready to enter it in to the 2014 Noelanders Kifu competition! I hope that by than it will live in it's special Dan Barton pot! I just cant wait to see how this little tree will look in 2014! Even after all these years in Bonsai, the waiting is still difficult!

Below: Top view after wiring.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 5-12-210

Below: After the work was finished. Height of the tree is 33 cm/13,2 inch.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 5-12-211

Hope you like the progression of my little Hawthorn!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Empty Hawthorn spines

Post  abcd Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Question : why don't you cut all the spines before restyling ?
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Very nice Hans! very nice. and a fast development too. ThumbsUp

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  David Noya Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi Hans,

Very impressive progression in so few years. I like the size of it also very much. Thanks for the Deshima-tip you gave me a couple of weeks ago btw. I went there last saturday and met Teunis-Jan, what a nice guy he is. I bought myself a nice Deshojo-maple because I could"t leave there without buying something Dance .
I'd like to collect myself a nice Hawthorn also. I also live close to the coast so maybe there are possibilities for me to collect a nice Hawthorn. bounce

Regards,
David
David Noya
David Noya

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Wow. Awesome tree.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks for posting this tree Hans. It's a real inspiration for a Bonsai novice like myself.
I hope that I get a chance to meet you properly at Burrs next year.

Keep up the excellent work and take good care of your back!
Regards,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi Hans, the tree is coming together well... proving that a good tree takes time... even when your material is good to start with Cool

Start to finish 10 years?

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:35 pm

abcd wrote:Question : why don't you cut all the spines before restyling ?

I thought I did! Very Happy But some are so small that they are realy hard to see. But I deliberately did not cut off some! On smaller hawthorns like this, I will only cut off the sharp tips off the thorns that grow on a place were I could use a small branch! As soon as they start to lengthen, I start to slowly curve them with wire! Don't wait to long, because when they mature they will become almost unbendable and therefore break easily! In time these wired spines will bud and turn in to a verry slow growing small branch! Some smaller secondary branches on this Hawthorn started live as a thorn!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Great info and trees Hans. Thank you for the time and effort that have gone into this thread. I love the way the original Hawthorne has turned out and I'm sure glad that literati came around.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:43 pm

jun wrote:Very nice Hans! very nice. and a fast development too. ThumbsUp

regards,
jun Smile

Thanks Jun! Yes this one matured even faster than I could have hoped for! My little tree, so full of wire, is a bit of a contradiction to what Robert Stevens told you about wiring deciduous trees?! Very Happy Although I agreed with most things he wrote, there are a lot off exceptions to those rules/guidelines. And in this case they are, species and their growing habits, tree size and last but not least the taste in styling of me, the Artist! Wink Cut and grow styling a small Hawthorn is almost imposible. Their wounds hardly heal and when they do, they often swell into ugly and unsightly lumps! And you dont want those on the branches of your small sized bonsai, were every detail is importand and all faults are enlarged! And you and others might know that in most of my designs, I am a big fan off detailed branch building and a sucker for open spaces. So much that I even wanted to try and use those principles, that are important in my work, on this small tree! And because cut and grow was in this case not a wise option, I could only achieve my vision with the help of wire. I wanted to show a large tree in the distance with open spaces between branches were posible! This might be a bit unnatural, but it creates a illusion that works, but is hard to show in a picture! In real live there is so much depth and illusion of height in this little tree and thats what I like to show in my work! And in this/my case, this could only be achieved with the use of wire! I guess that my little tree and style is a exception to the rule! Very Happy Just a little insight into my way of thinking and style!
We are about to start our traditional 5 December Sint Nicolaas celebrations over here! The room is full off presents waiting to be opened and there is food enough to give the whole street acid reflux for a week! I cant wait to open my presents and to eat my first junk food in 5 months cheers cheers cheers
Brazilian Coffee a Napoleon Cognac and the letter H in Chocolate! Live is good!!!!!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Last edited by Hans van Meer. on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Just did it for my kids Hans, a few days early because during the week they are at there mothers place.

Zie ginds komt de stoomboot uit spanje weer aan.................................................

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Hans
Great job as always. Really "great" little tree. ThumbsUp
Who made ​​the pot? Very good connection to the tree and pot. ThumbsUp
Gretings Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:09 pm

LOOK AT ALL THOSE PRESENTS! THANK YOU SINTERKLAASSIE !!!!! Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 Crazy-10

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". - Page 3 5-12-212

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:41 pm

David Noya wrote:Hi Hans,

Very impressive progression in so few years. I like the size of it also very much. Thanks for the Deshima-tip you gave me a couple of weeks ago btw. I went there last saturday and met Teunis-Jan, what a nice guy he is. I bought myself a nice Deshojo-maple because I could"t leave there without buying something Dance .
I'd like to collect myself a nice Hawthorn also. I also live close to the coast so maybe there are possibilities for me to collect a nice Hawthorn. bounce

Regards,
David

Thanks David! And good to hear that you went to TJ's place! You will always find something of interest there and he is, as you found out, a truly verry nice guy!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Bob Pressler wrote:Wow. Awesome tree.

bonsai monkey wrote:Thanks for posting this tree Hans. It's a real inspiration for a Bonsai novice like myself.
I hope that I get a chance to meet you properly at Burrs next year.

Keep up the excellent work and take good care of your back!
Regards,
Simon

Thanks Bob and Simon! I am glad you like my little tree! And yes Simon we will meet at Burrs and do some Bonsai and other non related stuff! Very Happy
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:55 pm

tony wrote:Hi Hans, the tree is coming together well... proving that a good tree takes time... even when your material is good to start with Cool

Start to finish 10 years?

Hi Tony,
thanks mate! And yes it takes time, but you learn to enjoy those waiting years. There is nothing else to do anyway! Very Happy But would you belief that we both collected this Hawthorn in November 2006?! And the first styling work was don in February 2008! Amazing isn't it? Looking forward to see you again at Noelanders my friend!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next