Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newton's Apple tree

2 posters

Go down

Newton's Apple tree Empty Newton's Apple tree

Post  JimLewis Mon May 10, 2010 12:59 pm

I heard a news story this morning about a British astronaut who is taking a "sliver" from Isaac Newton's apple tree into space and is going to release it to float around the space station. Apart from the overall silliness of the act, the story said the tree was still alive and growing at Newton's home.

THE tree? Or a clone many times removed? 1666 was a LONG time ago for a lowly apple tree.

How about a picture?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Newton's Apple tree Empty Newtons Apple tree

Post  Guest Mon May 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Found this for you Jim....Isaac Newton’s Apple Tree at Woolsthorpe Manor, Lincolnshire, is one of the most historically important trees in Britain, a celebrated national treasure for over 300 years. It is believed to be the apple tree that inspired Isaac Newton in 1665 when the ‘notion of gravitation came to mind’ after he watched an apple fall. The tree, a rare variety Flower of Kent, fell over in 1820 but is still growing well having rooted where the trunk touched the ground.Newton's Apple tree Newton10

Back to top Go down

Newton's Apple tree Empty Re: Newton's Apple tree

Post  Guest Mon May 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Did you know that Issac Newton designed the first 'Cat Flap' True... check here: Cat Flap cat

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon May 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks, Will. Amazing!

And thanks to you, too, Tony -- I guess. Razz

The story I heard: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126662175
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue May 11, 2010 3:13 am

will baddeley wrote:Found this for you Jim....Isaac Newton’s Apple Tree at Woolsthorpe Manor, Lincolnshire, is one of the most historically important trees in Britain, a celebrated national treasure for over 300 years. It is believed to be the apple tree that inspired Isaac Newton in 1665 when the ‘notion of gravitation came to mind’ after he watched an apple fall. The tree, a rare variety Flower of Kent, fell over in 1820 but is still growing well having rooted where the trunk touched the ground.Newton's Apple tree Newton10

My wife and I are intrigued by this tree and your historical description. I didn't know apple trees could live that long. By falling over, I presume it "regenerated" itself. The curvy trunk has a very nice shape and gives me ideas for some apple trees I collected this year. Thanks for sharing this Will. Smile Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down