Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lurch the Larch

+39
Kev Bailey
abcd
dre
Nunovsky_PT
yamasuri
Lee Brindley
JimLewis
Harleyrider
Victrinia Ridgeway
Seth Ellwood
Hans van Meer.
Paul B (Scotland)
Mark
bonsaistud
RichLewis
dave grieve
craigw
Roger Snipes
Todd Ellis
Joe Hatfield
Ed Trout
Hawaiian77
Nik Rozman
Justin Hervey
Walter Pall
moyogijohn
littleart-fx
Ed van der Reek
anttal63
Stone Monkey
Ian Young
AlainK
landerloos
Pavel Slovák
Jeremy
stavros
Smithy
mr treevolution
fiona
43 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Empty Re: Lurch the Larch

Post  fiona Sat May 08, 2010 6:12 pm

But Will.... you have a fine head of hair in your avatar!

Thanks for the virt, Rich. I am kinda thinking along the same lines as Will though. But I tell what I'm going to do later - I'm going to try a virt with your pot suggestion and the tree as it appears in the pic on page 2 where it is at its current planting angle. That might just make a difference.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Sat May 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi Fiona,
Just a thought, which I am sure has occured to you and Marco and I expect there is a very good reason why you both dismissed removing the branch. Very Happy
I feel the tree is unbalanced in the pots, other than in Walter's virtual, which I think works well, but looks very heavy.
To my eye the tree flows go right to left, but visually at present it's mass is the other direction.
What if you remove the right hand branch?
Would the trunk be up to it? Is it powerful enough or is the lower right hand branch hiding something?
Should it be removed, It might mean creating a small hollow / jin which is a shame, but if created sensitively could work.
Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Virtfi10

Just a thought.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Nice one Jerry. Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Icon_biggrin Not bad for a baldie eh Fiona Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Icon_cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Sat May 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Not bad for a baldie eh Fiona
I like to think of not being so much bald, but just have a 10+ finger forehead. Suspect
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat May 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Definitely nice one Jerry - both the virt and the quip. I like that pot too.

Hmmm. Something to think over.

Actually, Marco's input to this tree was limited to that one session in 2007, and I don't remember the issue of removing that branch being raised far less discounted. So, I'm open to all suggestions and I like what Jerry is proposing but with the one qualm that it could end up losing a fair degree of individuality.

Will have a right good think about it.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Sorry to bring you into this Jerry but we have to stand strong......Brother.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Sat May 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi FIONA,
That did occur to me after I sent it.
Ifeel it would be a mistake to lose what you have at present to make a cute, but less individual tree.
Walter's pot in light weight material?

Will,
ThumbsUp Very Happy ThumbsUp
Being able to hear and feel the first snowflake sizzle on my slightly bald patch Suspect makes me a paid up member and proud of it. Very Happy
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 08, 2010 7:39 pm

fiona wrote:Definitely nice one Jerry - both the virt and the quip. I like that pot too.

Hmmm. Something to think over.

Actually, Marco's input to this tree was limited to that one session in 2007, and I don't remember the issue of removing that branch being raised far less discounted. So, I'm open to all suggestions and I like what Jerry is proposing but with the one qualm that it could end up losing a fair degree of individuality.

Will have a right good think about it.

Fiona. Sometimes, when you've been custodian of a tree for a long time, a suggested change is difficult to see. Try looking at the posts in reverse, through a mirror. It works quite well.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat May 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Boys! Boys!

Keep your hair on!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Sat May 08, 2010 7:47 pm

"Try looking at the posts in reverse, through a mirror".
Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Virtre10
Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Virtfi12

Last edited by Jeremy on Sat May 08, 2010 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Will asked)
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 08, 2010 8:01 pm

And the original Jerry..and the original!

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Sat May 08, 2010 8:58 pm

G'day Fiona...

You are totally on the right track...Lurch is a wonderful Larch...very, very nice work.

Now, don't go too far out with the pot...I know that you are as much aware of this as I am, but, we don't want the pot to command more attention that Lurch...

Top drawer project you have going here, young lady...

Pat…mounted on my trusty stead, riding off wildly in all directions…
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat May 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks, Pat. Not sure though - think you may need a visit to your opthalmologist if you are seeing my avatar as that of a "young lady". Laughing But since it's you, I'll take it as a compliment.

Anyhoo. Been tinkering about again as there's no footie on the telly. Jerry's pot, Lurch at its original planting angle but with a bit shaved off the long branch at the bottom right.

Comments please.

Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Lurch_10
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 08, 2010 10:48 pm

I love this combination Fiona. The pot colour and texture suit the bark quality, depth of the pot is spot on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Sun May 09, 2010 12:18 am

Hi Fiona,
If you are keeping the lower right hand branch the pot to my eye will need to flow left to right. As in Walter's rock planting.
A more traditional pot, IMHO, will always be a compromise in the way you position the tree off centre to give the overall balance to pot and tree.
This I feel would be a distraction for this fine Larch. So with the powerful right hand branch a rock pot, slab or the like will balance without off-setting the tree heavily in the pot and allow a finer balance between container and tree.
Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Fi210
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun May 09, 2010 12:26 am

I feel a consultation trip to young Mr Pitt coming on.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Sun May 09, 2010 12:27 am

A with and without and new potting angle for comparison.
Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Fi_110

I think next collecting season I'll be on the lookout for this larch myself. Twisted Evil
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 09, 2010 12:37 am

Hello Jerry. I agree with tour comments regarding Walters rock planting virt but his rock is very stable, having many points of contact. Fionas Lurch as it stands, is unbalanced. This is not a bad thing as long as the tree appears stable. A pot would be my first choice for that visual stability. Your last rocky bowl looks far too unstable to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 09, 2010 12:44 am

Jeremy wrote:A with and without and new potting angle for comparison.
Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Fi_110

I think next collecting season I'll be on the lookout for this larch myself. Twisted Evil

I think the second virtual is spot on in every way. Well done Jerry Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Sun May 09, 2010 1:20 am

Fiona,
Lovely larch, it needs nothing but fine tuning and a new pot. Some trees require major redesign, yours does NOT!
Keep these lads with their scissor- happy plans the hell away from this precious beauty! Stay on the same road and grow
with your wonderful Bonsai.

Mark

Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 09, 2010 8:42 am

Mark wrote:Fiona,
Lovely larch, it needs nothing but fine tuning and a new pot. Some trees require major redesign, yours does NOT!
Keep these lads with their scissor- happy plans the hell away from this precious beauty! Stay on the same road and grow
with your wonderful Bonsai.

Mark

Scissor happy eh? If you read my posts I have said what a special tree this is, which ever way it ends up!

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun May 09, 2010 9:06 am

Will B wrote:
think next collecting season I'll be on the lookout for this larch myself

HAH! I've just bought an extra-secure Abus lock for the gates. And I'll keep the rottweiler hungry for the duration of the collecting season.

Mark: you wouldn't by any chance be poking fun at the thought of being advised on scissor usage by two different 10-finger foreheaded men now would you? Laughing Evil or Very Mad

My own current viewpoint is that I do like Jerry's "scissored" virt - it's just that I've seen numerous trees with that outline but not so many with the shape my tree currently has. Also, while I like the pot alternatives, I'm not 100% taken with any of them - again with the exception of the pot in Jerry's virt. It's a difficult call to make, and in the interim I shall seek inspiration from the fabulous potters. I may very well use my next session with Sensei Steve to come to a decision. No point in winning him for a day in raffle and not putting him to good use.

btw - that bottom branch is in fact two branches. Will post a pic later as I am actually going out into the real world for a few hours.

Last edited by fiona on Sun May 09, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Sun May 09, 2010 11:47 am

Fiona, my friend...

Lurch keeps looking better and better...

But now, I would like to see Jerry's second (more upright) virtual WITH the bottom "two branches" intact.

Hope you enjoyed your few hours in the real world...

Pat…mounted on my trusty stead, riding off wildly in all directions…
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun May 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks Pat. The real world is fine - for a short period of time. Had an enjoyable 25 mile hurl (good Scottish word) down the cycle track and back and am pausing to post these pics before disappearing off for a bath with Edward Abbey (arrived while I was out). Shocked That's got the rest of them guessing. Twisted Evil

I was wrong. It is in fact 3 branches at the bottom right. Well two really but I'm counting the forked one as two as both parts of the fork are fairly substantial.

Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Big_la15

Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Big_la14
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Lurch the Larch - Page 3 Empty LURCH

Post  moyogijohn Sun May 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Fiona,THE tree looks good in the first pic in the pot. please do not take the right branch off. my opion..john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next