Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wessex show

+11
Pavel Slovák
Mark Cooper
Mario Stefano
Ian Young
stavros
Smithy
alex e
fiona
Dave Martin
chris
Jeremy
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wessex show - Page 2 Empty Re: Wessex show

Post  Jaco Kriek Tue May 04, 2010 7:01 am

Hi bonsaikichi
Thank you very much for posting these pictures, they are inspiring.
Please explain to me what is meant by the category “Best self styled tree”.
Jaco
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 am

Jaco,

The self styled category was introduced as a result of members being overawed by some of the trees which were exhibited but which were bought trees so called 'cheque book bonsai'.

The category demands that the tree is one which the owner has either collected him or herself, purchased from a garden centre as raw material, airlayered or grown from seed.

The design and mainenance of the tree is the work of the owner WITHOUT any input or advice from a third party.
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Tue May 04, 2010 9:51 am

Dave Martin wrote:The design and mainenance of the tree is the work of the owner WITHOUT any input or advice from a third party.
Hi Martin,
That is a rare bonsai nowadays, what with societies, workshops, the internet, books and mags.

Last edited by Jeremy on Tue May 04, 2010 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 am

Thats what it is meant to be........

Whether it is the case is left to the integrity of the entrant....

It excludes book reading as third party help for those who have moved on from 'Janet and John' books. Razz
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Tue May 04, 2010 10:51 am

OK people, looks like I missed a room at least - I thought it was a bit small.

Where were the stones and accents displayed then?

Don't recall seeing Dave's wisteria and other trees in front of half height screens either.

Not turn right inside the door, past the jumble table and around the corner to the book room or whatever it was I hope, as it didn't seem to be signposted so I didn't venture up there.

Am I blind or just dumb.

Don't answer that

Laughing
Confused

Thks
TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue May 04, 2010 10:53 am

wabashene wrote: Am I blind or just dumb. Don't answer that Laughing Confused
Don't you just love a rhetorical question?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 am

The exhibits you missed were all in the main hall, which was situated down the long corridor having turned right at the entrance, that was where the main competition was housed.....

It appears you missed most of the show.
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Tue May 04, 2010 11:25 am

Very Happy

Stuff me - so it was past the jumble table and around the corner to the the book room. A bit obscure imo and I bet I wasn't the only one.

Well I'll know next time, but to be fair Dave, for someone on a rush visit like myself, due to wife having torn her ankle ligaments on the allotment, it wasn't clear that there was more to it.

Did get a couple of good pots though and what I saw was high standard.

Embarassed

Thks

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Wessex show - Page 2 Empty Wessex Show

Post  alex e Tue May 04, 2010 11:59 am

nice photos ThumbsUp Alex e

Last edited by alex e on Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Tue May 04, 2010 1:10 pm

A few more trees from the show :

2nd place Shohin : Broom Style Zelkova

Wessex show - Page 2 Our_ze10

Best Mame : Bob's Itoigawa Juniper

Wessex show - Page 2 Best_m10

Mark
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 3:30 pm

For a regional show, this is national quality. This is how I thought ABBA would be but sadly it wasn't. Although the quality was there, there just wasn't the quantity. Too many traders and too small an exhibition. If this is an annual event, I will definately be there. Well done...again!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Tue May 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Will,
Yep it was a very good quality show.
As for ABBA's J.O.B it is a different type of event. Dan B set it up and it's focus is for invited bonsai artists giving back to the bonsai community through their demo's etc and to celebrate all thing bonsai. The trees displayed are an important part, but just a part of the overall event.

No doubt Dan will express it clearer in the future.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 3:49 pm

I hope I didn't sound derogatory, as this couldn't be further from the truth. I had a wonderful weekend at Bath and I was very proud and pleased, to be involved. However, quite a few visitors, expressed their dissapointment with the size of the exhibition.

Back to top Go down

Post  alex e Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 pm

will baddeley wrote:For a regional show, this is national quality. This is how I thought ABBA would be but sadly it wasn't. Although the quality was there, there just wasn't the quantity. Too many traders and too small an exhibition. If this is an annual event, I will definitely be there. Well done...again!

Hi Will you better believe a great show and getting better every year,the quality is outstanding!!!!
there was at least another 4 club stands ours included that unfortunately are not on this thread!
hopefully someone else will post them,pound for pound Wessex, Swindon and Sheffield are a different league,

ThumbsUp Alex e
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm

will baddeley wrote:For a regional show, this is national quality. This is how I thought ABBA would be but sadly it wasn't. Although the quality was there, there just wasn't the quantity. Too many traders and too small an exhibition. If this is an annual event, I will definately be there. Well done...again!

Hi Will,

Yes, you missed a really good event and we were impressed by the standard of trees and the organisation. It really was a credit to the organisers and the exhibitors.
I heard several folks who had visited this event many times before say how much the standard had improved over the years, and especially how it had improved again even over last year.

For me, the ratio of "Trees to Traders" was just about right for this kind of event. Very Happy

As Alex said, there were some really great society exhibits too that don't appear here (sadly I don't have any decent photos of the ones that haven't been posted here already).

Mark
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Tue May 04, 2010 5:06 pm

Ian Young wrote:Thanks for sharing and keep them coming. I'd be interested to now what categories there were to enter within the competition.

The categories were
1. Group planting. 2.Rock planting. 3. Broadleaf. 4. Conifers. 5. Flowering and fruiting. 6. Shohin. 7. Self styled (as explained earlier). 8. mame. 9. Suiseki. 10. Accent planting (possibly the only society to have this category).
then there is the Best Tree in Competition award, together with an award only open to Wessex society members.
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  alex e Sat May 08, 2010 4:47 pm

New Dawn Bonsai display
Wessex show - Page 2 Image102
Wessex show - Page 2 Image105
Wessex show - Page 2 Image106

Last edited by alex e on Mon May 10, 2010 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Wessex show - Page 2 Empty New Talent

Post  Jeremy Sat May 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Dave,
I saw the start of the new talent competition, but didn't catch the end.
Who won and any pictures?
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2