Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Seusseki"

+2
Velodog2
Norma
6 posters

Go down

"Seusseki" Empty "Seusseki"

Post  Norma Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:08 pm

Nope...I didn't misspell suiseki...... the Google page is decorated with Dr. Seuss characters today in memory of Theodore Seuss Geisel's life. From one of his books:

"You're off to great places! Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting. So..... get on your way!"

The stone I'm showing is a pattern stone.... there are two ways of seeing this stone....... Very Happy

Norma

"Seusseki" Dsc_0032

"Seusseki" Dsc_0010
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

"Seusseki" Empty Re: "Seusseki"

Post  Norma Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 am

A bit whimsical ......Huh? This is a California stone I found on the Eel River in 2006..... While my daughter sunbathed on a sandy island in the river , I had to find stones that weren't too large for my luggage. It did turn into a very heavy suitcase which, because of the gay pride parade in SF and the multitudes at the airport, they did not weigh cheers

The pattern I have always seen on the stone was a young woman...wind blowing her hair and garments ....it must be cold because you see her breath.

Others see the head of the"Grinch" Rolling Eyes

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:00 pm

And I see a Phoenix rising with wings upspread.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaikc Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Velodog2 wrote:And I see a Phoenix rising with wings upspread.

Phoenix perhaps, but I see a dragon taking flight. So much for reading all the fantasy books with dragons in them!

Chris
bonsaikc
bonsaikc

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:45 pm

bonsaikc wrote:
Velodog2 wrote:And I see a Phoenix rising with wings upspread.

Phoenix perhaps, but I see a dragon taking flight. So much for reading all the fantasy books with dragons in them!

Chris

Perhaps we could compromise on a Pterodactyl.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

"Seusseki" Empty Think I miss it all

Post  jamesransom Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:57 pm

A bit late at night for me to see things like that but i do keep seeing Africa and India................. Will see it again tomorrow to see if i was kidding myself Shocked

James
jamesransom
jamesransom

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:45 pm

jamesransom wrote:A bit late at night for me to see things like that but i do keep seeing Africa and India................. Will see it again tomorrow to see if i was kidding myself Shocked

James

Maybe even some continental drift if you squint! Arrow
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesransom Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 pm

[quote]Maybe even some continental drift if you squint!

Iam squinting.............. yes............ no late again drifting off to sleep Sleep

Its a Darwin stone!

James
jamesransom
jamesransom

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Chris (bonsaikc) & I both see dragons-- mine is dark & swirling amidst clouds. It has a large, arrow-shaped head & deserves a fitted wood seat.

The Seuss characters are surely worthy of memory as is the creator Geisel. As a subject for viewing stones, we have opportunity to accept expression as broad as the modern shangshi enthusiast who embraced the pattern of the "Little Match Girl" (from Han Christian Anderson) in a Chinese stone that he admires (see: cover story, Global Bonsai & Stone Collection magazine, Spring 2005). It is not difficult to accept but exaggerates a gulf between open expression in modern Chinese enthusiasm & expression under discipline common to tradition in China, Japan & Korea.

I'd prefer the tray display limited to landscape-view stones as my notion which needn't be yours. In testing, developing & discussing wide range of expression in stones, respect for others' expression opens appreciation. For a particular audience or viewer, limits can open appreciation.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Thanks, you guys, for the lighthearted comments drunken Once you've seen a view in a pattern stone it's seems amazing that so many see another.

Chris.... What do you think of using the black base with a small pillow to display this stone and would the pillow need a certain type of fabric ?

I'm still looking for the dragon......

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Fabric is open to your expression.

Dragon coiled in cloud. Arrows follow its dark body from the head as it coils around outside edges off the stone image, going around the outside & under under the "first body segment/arrow" toward a tail embedded deep in the stone/cloud:
"Seusseki" Norma_10
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down