Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai"

+13
Joe Hatfield
David Brunner
fiona
Fuzzy
bobby little
bonsainotwar
Walter Pall
Jay Gaydosh
Mario Stefano
Kev Bailey
Russell Coker
F. Waheedy
littleart-fx
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" - Page 2 Empty Re: In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai"

Post  bobby little Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:02 am

fiona wrote:
bobby little wrote:... I thought it was a mini haiku.
Is that not Hiawatha's girlfriend?

So long, fellow.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm going to give you a basho on the hooter.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" - Page 2 Empty Re: In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai"

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Bonsai is defined in many words or very few. You can speak of the practice or you can speak of the art. But I would have to agree with what Walter had said. I found that very accurate to how I feel.

I do like all the comments I have received over the years pertaining to bonsai and myself.

"Leave that in the ground"
"Bonsai is weird"
"What the heck are you talking about, CHIM pAK OO, ACer PLa-mat-ma, What about rent"
"No more trees in this yard please"
"No, you cant borrow 3k to go to Bath"
"Yes I'm still listening"
"So it's like fun for you........ oh"

AND MANY MORE!

Thank the Gods my Heather has been supportive. I'm sure it's been hard to support Smile
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 pm

lol! thumbs up Top post Joe! I particularly liked the- Bonsai is weird statement, Kind of reminds me of my dad when he comes to visit. How’s the trees? He’ll ask. Fine. I’ll reply knowing full well he just don’t get it.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:12 pm

I like "yes..I'm still listening" In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:55 am

will baddeley wrote:I like "yes..I'm still listening" In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

I like that one also. I think i hear that one at least once a day. Laughing
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" - Page 2 Empty True conversation!

Post  Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:40 am

Yes... Joe, great post mate.

here is one from me talking to a guy at a 'GeekUP' meeting in Manchester last week.

*guy
^me

* I knew you would be at the event so I 'Googled' you

^ that's nice

* you do bonsai right?

^ yes I 'Do' bonsai

* that's them Japanese little trees that you can buy in Marks and Spencers

^ Huuum

* I bought one for me mum for Christmas and it just died

^ really

* she watered it every day and kept in in the bathroom and everything

^ Huuum

* so why did it die?

^ do you want the long or the short answer?

* the short answer

^ It died because.... because... because... trees die sometimes

* yeh... but why?

^ how much did you pay for it?

* £6.99

^ you spent only £6.99 on your mother at Christmas?

* do you want a beer?

^ now you are talking.

True conversation!

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Hahahahaha, good one Tony.

what is bonsai to me, very hard to tell I geuss.
More of a feeling, relaxing enjoying nature in small size.
And ofcourse meeting nice friends once in a wile, that have the same ideas about small trees. (Not like the wife, what did you spend on it and so on Wink )

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

In less than 150 words "What is Bonsai" - Page 2 Empty Pure Bliss

Post  Geoline Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 am

BACKGROUND STORY (since I've been absent LONG TIME and most of you don't know me)
15 years ago, I would have agreed that Bonsai is for rich men. I do not enjoy caste politics.

12 years of uprooting and traveling, I learned that Bonsai is clearly NOT for gypsies. Bonsai requires some semblance of stability for healthy roots.

IN THE MOMENT
I miss plunging my fingers in to soil to feel the cool moistness of nursery soil and the coarse texture of bonsai soil. I missed getting wood dust under my fingernails and all over my long hair from carving deadwood. My Japanese dolls (my originals like the Spring Geiko in my avatar and my pre-1900s heirloom Imperial, Musha and peasant Ningyo), my origami, the heirloom woodblock prints, the Hakata ceramics, the ancestor stones, miss the company of their living bonsai companions.

MY SHORT DEFINITION
Bonsai for me is a very personal journey. I do bonsai to honor the past. To remember and respect the arts of elders who no longer walk the earth. To remember the disappearing landscape that has been urbanized. To remember the blessings of heaven and earth. Bonsai is pure bliss.

Warmest aloha old and new friends,
Geoline

Never forgotten
The blossoming youthful spring
- Even in winter
(Peter S. Quinn )
Geoline
Geoline

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:38 pm

I am not giving a definition..., how could I?
I have just stick in here trying to learn...
But I could not refrain myself saying that the last post of Geoline speaks to my heart!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2