Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A DIFFERENT DISPLAY

4 posters

Go down

A DIFFERENT DISPLAY Empty A DIFFERENT DISPLAY

Post  mike page Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:20 pm

A DIFFERENT DISPLAY Goldar10

Display in the Sei Boku bonsai Kai annual exhibit. April 4/5, 2009.
Bonsai is an old olive in an old Shigaraki kiln pot.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

A DIFFERENT DISPLAY Empty Re: A DIFFERENT DISPLAY

Post  Rob Kempinski Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:36 pm

What is the backdrop - a old cross section of a redwood tree?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi Rob
The back drop is made from 1/8 inch masonite. The rough side of the masonite is sprayed with gold paint. I did the spraying using a spray can and following the arc of of the curve.

Best Regards

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:00 am

I like what you did. It pulls the tree and the accent plant together more than a draped background. It looks like the shape is not symetrical, but rather a little higher/fuller on the side of the tree, and straighter on the side of the accent plant. I'm not sure if this is true or just a 'trick of the eye' given the placement of the tree and plant, but I think this also adds to the overall look. I'm surprised to read it is gold paint. It doesn't look like it at all. I also thought it was a cross section of a tree. Did the gold work in person? It seems a strange choice for bonsai.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

A DIFFERENT DISPLAY Empty "It seems a strange choice for bonsai."

Post  mike page Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:56 am

Carolee
Way back in 1993, my friend Warren Clark and I were discussing display. Out of the blue he said he'd like to see a display with a gold background. I said I'd get on it and see what I could come up with.
I decided on an arch just to be different from the usual rectangular background. Another reason is that with gold, the arch seemed appropriate as it has somewhat of a Chinese flavor.
I picked masonite because I like the texture on the rough side, especially with the gold paint. I built 2 that are identical, and we have used them in every club show since. They were controversial for awhile, but people seem to have gotten used to them.
The message is, don't be afraid to think "outside the box". It may work.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

A DIFFERENT DISPLAY Empty Low light displays.

Post  Jeremy Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi,
I have in the past during a family gathering, set up a informal display in very subdued light with just candlelight picking up the gold leaf on the black background Mt Fuji scroll.
I feel that much gold can be seen as "gilding the olive". Smile
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down