Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gardenia Bonsai

2 posters

Go down

Gardenia Bonsai Empty Gardenia Bonsai

Post  scottm Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:34 am

This was a bush in my backyard that was heavily damage by a snow storm (in Texas, no less). The cuts were made right below the broken branches, and then I dug it out of the ground and put it in a pot. I'm not sure if there's any hope for it, but I thought I'd ask for some input.

Gardenia Bonsai Nf6c810
Gardenia Bonsai Eqllk10
Gardenia Bonsai Phvh110
Gardenia Bonsai Hlolh10
Gardenia Bonsai 4knpc10

I am very new to bonsai, I just started reading books last year and bought my first tree last October. I'd really like to get a flowering Gardenia in the future, so I bought this little plant from Home Depot.

The leaves aren't yellow like they look in the pictures (although there are a couple of yellow leaves).
Gardenia Bonsai La59e10
Gardenia Bonsai 3ypao10
Gardenia Bonsai Xwszc10

So, my questions follow.

For the larger tree:
1. Should I cut the first tree to further prepare it for bonsai, or just leave it alone for now?
2. Should I cut back all of the longer branches (which were once suckers) and defoliate?

And the smaller tree:
1. There are already some flower buds, should I go ahead and remove them or let them bloom?
2. What might be causing the yellowing? Too much water?
3. I'd like to do a slightly windswept style, but I think I need to wait until next year to wire it.

Thanks guys, you are all so knowledgeable.
scottm
scottm

Back to top Go down

Gardenia Bonsai Empty Re: Gardenia Bonsai

Post  Carolee Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Here's my modest advice: leave both alone for the next year and see how they do. You can take the flower buds off, it may help conserve their energy. The yellowing could be from not enough iron. Use a fertilizer like mir-acid (scots) according to package direction. Do you have them in good draining soil. It is hard to over water if your soil drains well. But, only water when the top inch is dry. I use broken chop sticks in the soil, and when they are dry, then it is time to water. Make sure the pot isn't sitting directly on the ground or a solid surface. Water will collect there Don't do any styling until after to year, and read up on gardenia as a bonsai. Good Luck!
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down