Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010

+2
harry dovey
Harleyrider
6 posters

Go down

2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 Empty 2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010

Post  Harleyrider Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Those of you who saw the video of Tony and myself carrying his monster yamadori Hawthorn recently may also have seen Fiona's question regarding what else I was carrying in my grubby little mitts. Throwing caution to the wind, I've decided to risk the wrath of the bonsai Gods and show you.

Besides, have you ever experienced a Scottish woman who wants answers? It's akin to being attacked by a Rottweiler.

Anyway, without further ado, here are two of the three Blackthorns I collected on Sunday.

This one has potential, I think. Good movement and plenty of branches to work on. It's also budding profusely.
2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 100_1036
The two main branches were left on as they presented us with an 'either-or' situation, with both having fantastic movement. I have decided to follow Tony's idea of removing the left one (in the lower pic), as the other branch provides better taper
2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 100_1035

This next one was collected after we dug Lee's massive Blackthorn. I nearly sat on it during a coffee break! It was growing so close to Lee's find that I'm convinced it was a sucker from his tree. I'm really happy, nay excited, with this tree as it's the first one I've found and collected myself that I can see real potential in. This was confirmed by Lee saying that it's as good a tree as I'll ever collect. Praise indeed from Mr Blackthorn himself!
Please look past the dodgy photography. I was on my own and the backdrop was getting blown about all over the place.
2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 100_1038
2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 100_1040
2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 100_1039
2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 100_1041
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 Empty Re: 2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010

Post  harry dovey Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:37 pm

very nice i think the second one has a nice start to a nice bonsai also the second is nice
harry dovey
harry dovey

Back to top Go down

2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 Empty Re: 2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010

Post  Hombre Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:01 pm

very nice and promising material cheers

good for you thumbs up
Hombre
Hombre

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi Harleyrider, very nice trees. Congratulation!!

Whether you grow. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Harry, has the "nice" button got stuck, on your keyboard? Laughing

Great Blackthorns Steve. What were the roots like?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  harry dovey Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:03 pm

yeah i did not notice that kev

nice of you to tell me Very Happy
harry dovey
harry dovey

Back to top Go down

2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 Empty 2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010

Post  Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 pm

Love the second one Steve. Thats something special 2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 pm

@Kev. The roots on the first tree were what you'd expect from a Blackthorn; ie, sparse. The second one, however, had a suprising amount of feeders, and I'm fairly confi.......no, I won't say it!

Lee told me of a Blackthorn he collected a few years ago. It had very few feeder roots, so few, in fact, that he held out little hope of its survival. After three years rapid growth, he repotted it, only to find that it still had exactly the same amount of roots. Undaunted, he sold it on and two years later, after consistantly putting out new shoots, it still had the same amount of roots. So, it would seem that Blackthorn can survive just fine, despite their inherant lack of support.
Having said that, I'm sure there are numerous tales of them dying, despite an abundance of rootball. Go figure.

@ Will. It's mine, all mine I tell you! Gerroff!

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'll post more pics when they're in leaf/flower, and will keep you updated on their progress.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Harry, has the "nice" button got stuck, on your keyboard? 2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 Icon_lol
harry dovey wrote:yeah I did not notice that Kev.
Nice of you to tell me 2 Blackthorn yamadori. Collected 7.3.2010 Icon_biggrin
Nice one, Harry!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down