Chinese Privet - Collected 2010

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chinese Privet - Collected 2010

Post  Zach Smith on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Here's a privet I collected last year. All of the branching was grown in a single year. The top needs to fill out some more. Main trunk is 2.5" in diameter, and height is 16". The pot is a vintage Tokoname tray. Comments welcome.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Privet - Collected 2010

Post  Guest on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi Zach.

The tall tree seems to a have a bright future, but something looks wrong with the little tree. Is it a single tree? If it is and if it were mine I'll probably shorten the trunk of the small tree and grow a new trunk ,that way I could make it more interesting. It is too straight right now and seems to be more of a liability on the total design composition.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Brace yourself for the deadwood to rot, no matter what you do. I like working with Ligustrum sinensis, but if there is a big chop scar or a lot of other deadwood, the design tends to become a moving target.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:57 pm

JimLewis wrote:Brace yourself for the deadwood to rot, no matter what you do. I like working with Ligustrum sinensis, but if there is a big chop scar or a lot of other deadwood, the design tends to become a moving target.
Oh, I know about the dead wood, Jim. Been growing privet for over 20 years. I treat with lime sulfur once or twice a year, which seems to help.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:01 pm

jun wrote:Hi Zach.

The tall tree seems to a have a bright future, but something looks wrong with the little tree. Is it a single tree? If it is and if it were mine I'll probably shorten the trunk of the small tree and grow a new trunk ,that way I could make it more interesting. It is too straight right now and seems to be more of a liability on the total design composition.

regards,
jun Smile
Thanks, Jun. The smaller tree is a single tree, and isn't ramrod straight. I actually think it reflects the slight movement in the larger tree well. I'll see how it progresses over the next couple of years. I can always whack it down the road if need be.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum