Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Elm

+2
littleart-fx
Dianne Fincham
6 posters

Go down

Chinese Elm Empty Chinese Elm

Post  Dianne Fincham Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:32 am

Hi,
I was given this tree for my birthday, it was labelled Zelkova, but its actually a Chinese Elm. It is doing very well, it was desperate for water, but since being watered properly it is coming along very well. It has just produced loads of new leaves and lots more on the way.
( By the way i live in Cornwall UK, and the weather here is fairly mild, trees in doors at the moment, but intend to put it out in the spring)
My problem/question is, i had intended to cut back some of the roots in the early spring. My reason, when i first got it (20th Feb '10) i tried to lift the inner pot from the outer decerative pot so that i could water it. When lifting it, the whole plant came out from both pots, it was completely dry, and just one mass. It did not look very pot bound, but there were a lot of roots. Also, the pot that it came in measures only 4.5" in diameter.
The tree as it is now, measures 10" high and the diameter at the base of the trunk is 1.5" From books that i have read, it says that if i was planting a tree of this size into its Bonsai pot, the pot should be 7.5" wide x 5" deep x1.5" high.
So my question is, as it is now producing all those lovely new leaves, can i still deal with these roots? as i am worried about the pot it is in.
Any help/advice would be greatfully received as i am very new to this.
Best wishes Dianne

Dianne Fincham

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm Empty Re: Chinese Elm

Post  littleart-fx Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:03 am

Hello Dianne,

Since your tree reactions are quite good, i wouldn't worry to much about them roots.
This is a quick grown Chinese elm where you can learn a lot from, in early stages of bonsai.
These trees are very forgiving!

First concern is give it new soil (most Chinese trees sit in clay), my Elms live on a soil of Accadama and bonsai soil (Look for a bonsai nursery nearby)

Can you post a picture, English measurements don't mean much to me.
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Dianne Fincham Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:30 am

Hi,
Thank you for your reply, I have just added some photo's. As i said, i have not done anything to this tree as yet. The photo's are not taken in situe, it normally lives on my kitchen window sill where it seems quite happy at the moment.

This first photo is a full view

Chinese Elm Kelkova

The second one is a close up of the leaves, this photo is more true to colour.
Chinese Elm Kelkovabranchesleaves

The third one shows a close up of the base of the trunk
Chinese Elm Kelkovatrunk

Many thanks for your help, any other ideas would be useful as this is my first Bonsai and i don't want to lose it!
Best wishes
Dianne

Dianne Fincham

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:58 pm

I reckon that came from you local Lidl shop. That's where I got a my ficus from. I'm not going to try to advise you like the other folks on here because I'm a novice, but after many years floundering around with garden centre bought trees like yours, I agree about repotting into a proper pot and soil sharpish. B&Q do a ready made mix which I never had any problems with until Iearned it was cheaper to mix my own and buy in bulk. Liquid seasweed extract in a spray on the foliage is handy after you've repotted too because you ought to avoid feeding at soil level for a couple of weeks if you've fiddled about with the root. I always pop a bit of vermiculite in too as it helps the feeding process, so I'm told by a boffin of my acquiantance.

nice climate where you are for it. I go to Polzeath regularly and there's loads of inspirational windswept trees around Very Happy
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Dianne Fincham Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi, Yes your probably right, it was a present from my parents, and where they live in Falmouth a new Lydl has just openned. I have been searching the internet, and reading loads of books trying to work out whether i'm meant to put it into a Bonsai pot or a training pot? or just another pot? Its hard to know how old it is? I assume that its quite young, there probably 'quick grown' trees made ready for sale fast?
We don't live all that far Polzeath, we live near Newquay.
Best wishes
Dianne

Dianne Fincham

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:55 pm

I'd agree with the others and suggest that get some bonsai soil or read up on how to mix your own. Before you repot, you should cut back every long straight shoot to two leaves. (This will have to be repeated regularly, Chinese Elm are fast growers once the weather warms up)
Then you wash all soil off the roots and put it into a new pot. Half a seed tray would do, if you can't find the right pot yet. You can use some wire to hold the roots into the pot and stop the tree from rocking. Gently fill with the new soil and tap to eliminate any air pockets. Then water thoroughly an keep in semi shade for a week or two.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Dianne Fincham wrote:Hi, Yes your probably right, it was a present from my parents, and where they live in Falmouth a new Lydl has just openned. I have been searching the internet, and reading loads of books trying to work out whether i'm meant to put it into a Bonsai pot or a training pot? or just another pot? Its hard to know how old it is? I assume that its quite young, there probably 'quick grown' trees made ready for sale fast?
We don't live all that far Polzeath, we live near Newquay.
Best wishes
Dianne

hey. there's a bonsai nursery in newquay somewhere. not been myself but a friend of mine picked up some nice things there.

here

link doesn't seem to be working

Newquay Bonsai
www.newquay-bonsai.co.uk
17A East Street
Newquay TR7 1DN
01637 872738
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:16 pm

That site doesn't seem to be operational. This one is also near Newquay and is working. I've no experience of it though.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dianne Fincham Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Thank you Kev, and Bobby,
The Japanese gardens are not very far from where i live. Its between us and Newquay. I don't go into Newquay very often (only about 5 miles away), but when i do, i have to pass it on the way. I will look up the other one in Newquay as well.
Thank you for the advice about cutting back etc. I am really nervous about this, i'm afraid i might kill it or something! But i will do some more reading about it first, and have ago soon, as it is already growing quite fast. Confused study
Best wishes
Dianne

Dianne Fincham

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:05 pm

G'day Dianne...

See if you can find a Bonsai club near by...take your bonsai to a club meeting...you should find some good help there.

One of the best things you can do to get started in bonsai, is join a club.

Good luck with your Elm.

Pat…mounted on my trusted stead, riding off wildly in all directions…
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Dianne Fincham Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi Pat,
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure if we have any clubs near to us? But its certainly something worth looking into Very Happy
Best wishes
Dianne

Dianne Fincham

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm Empty Chinese Elm

Post  toggsie Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:08 am

Dianne - Look at the www.Cornwall-Bonsai-Society.co.uk web site. You will find a wealth of information and a group of like minded people willing to help and advise. We have members all around the Newquay area.
The nursary at Mawgan Porth will have everything you need for repotting etc. The owner is Rob Hore.
Regards
toggsie
toggsie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dianne Fincham Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:28 am

Hi,
Thank you for that, i will go and have a look at their website now. I haven't really looked around for anything as yet, as i am really new to Bonsai. Although, i have been interested for many many years. Only now got the time on my hands to do something! Very Happy
Many thanks again, Best wishes Dianne

Dianne Fincham

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down