Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wiring question

+3
Norma
JimLewis
Yvoune
7 posters

Go down

Wiring question Empty Wiring question

Post  Yvoune Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Hello all! Very Happy

Am new to the bonsai world and tryin' to learn something new every day...my today's concern is about wiring...

I've read (& heard) lots of times that Copper is the best material to do so...what can you guys tell me about it?...why would Copper be more suitable and what about other metals?

Thanks in advance for reading me...

PS: please, excuse my english as I come from Belgium and French is my mother tongue, thanks! Embarassed

Yves Dosogne
Yvoune
Yvoune

Back to top Go down

Wiring question Empty Re: Wiring question

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:41 pm

I've read (& heard) lots of times that Copper is the best material to do so...what can you guys tell me about it?...why would Copper be more suitable and what about other metals?

In a word: Tradition!

Copper wire holds bends in branches in a smaller diameter wire than does aluminum because it hardens as you use it. But copper wire is getting (has gotten) very expensive, and copper wire needs to be annealed before it can be used.

Aluminum wire is pretty much standard now in the western world. You need to use a thicker diameter wire for the same holding ability (or use two or more strands of a thinner wire), but it is much cheaper and is readily available wherever bonsai materials are sold. It comes in a copper(ish) color, if you want, but since I don't display trees with wire on them, it could come in bright yellow and I wouldn't care. Aluminum wire does not need to be annealed. And, if you are careful (and don't try on small branches) you can UNwind it and reuse it.

I suspect that in Japan they still stick by good ol' copper, but . . .

My French and Flemish is non-existent, so please don't worry about your English. It seemed fine to me.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Yvoune Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Thank you for your quick answer, I appreciate, Jim Shocked

Am livin' in Brussels and I've been lookin' for copper wire in many different shops (only one bonsai shop actually; Brussels appears to be pretty poor on bonsai facilities)...it looks like somebody robbed all these shops since I can't seem to find some anywhere Sad so, I've been usin' galvanized iron on a pair of little beeches for a try...do you think I should remove it? Also, is aluminium the only other alternative Question

Yves Dosogne
Yvoune
Yvoune

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Yves,

Many people think copper is the best for conifers such as pine and juniper because it hold the shape better for a longer time. I prefer aluminum wire however because it's easier for women to handle.. I did check out one of our American bonsai web sellers, Dallas Bonsai. But there are many and I'm sure closer to you. Here is what Dallas Bonsai offered in copper wire:

http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/annealed_copper_wire.html

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Please remove the galvanised iron. Once you have used proper bonsai wire, you will understand the difference and why it is better. As other have said, there are pros and cons for copper and aluminium. I use both. Copper is particularly good for pines, as the thinner wires (for the same holding power) work well, even between closely packed needles, right up to the branch tips.

If you can't find a shop locally buy online. There are some excellent and reliable shops in the UK and I'll bet there are in Belgium too. No doubt there's someone on here who also lives in Belgium and can advise.

Have you looked up Danny Use? Try http://www.ginkgobonsai.be/
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bolas Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm using an Aluminium and will never change it for a copper wire. I tryed but I couldn't force my habit. The second thing for aluminium wire it's the price is lower.
Bolas
Bolas

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Heath Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:05 pm

Using wire is for cheaters, clip and grow is the only true way to do bonsai.

Just kidding Wink

I use aluminum wire (copper color coating) for most bonsai purposes. It is inexpensive and easy to find. Shop around, buy in larger quantities, beware the sellers who charge high prices for small amounts.

Will
Will Heath
Will Heath

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaikc Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:42 pm

We use annealed copper for most conifers, specifically pines and junipers but not only those. Since the wire stays on much longer (because the trees grow a bit more slowly), we like the fact that one can use much smaller diameter wires.

We use anodized aluminum for deciduous and most tropical trees such as ficus, because the tree will grow faster and the wire will cut in sooner. Aluminum is a bit easier to take off than copper.

Chris
bonsaikc
bonsaikc

Back to top Go down

Post  Yvoune Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:45 pm

Thank u for all the kind answers Smile and for the link...I will take a look personnaly in the shop before spring, that's for sure!

Am gonna keep lookin' for some copper (& I finally should find some thanks to this link!) but will turn to aluminium as some of u suggested for the next trees...since I have no conifers yet, I suppose copper can wait a bit Wink

Thanks again...

Yves Dosogne
Yvoune
Yvoune

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down