Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California Juniper just repotted

+8
dorothy7774
Fuzzy
Pavel Slovák
peter keane
bonsaisr
Jeremy
bonsaistud
mike page
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

California Juniper just repotted Empty California Juniper just repotted

Post  mike page Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:03 am

This Cal Juniper stands 17 inches tall above the rim of the Sara Rayner pot.
I am working to develop the foliage pads to be show ready by late spring.

California Juniper just repotted Valcal11

Last edited by mike page on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

California Juniper just repotted Empty California Juniper just repotted

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:59 am

I like the composition but is it refined enough for showing?

Back to top Go down

California Juniper just repotted Empty Re: California Juniper just repotted

Post  mike page Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:05 am

[quote=" is it refined enough for showing?[/quote]

That is the question. With a vigorus growing season, and a good wiring job, by June it may be show worthy.
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:47 am

mike page wrote:[quote=" is it refined enough for showing?

That is the question. With a vigorus growing season, and a good wiring job, by June it may be show worthy.[/quote]
It's very difficult for us in the UK, to judge how fast your trees grow over the pond. The reason I made my original statement is.. the branches are very young. I would say 5-10 years of refinement on this tree before it is at show standard. Worth the wait I think Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:42 am

Here's what I would say about "...5-10 years of refinement...": it might look like it just came from the hair dresser. Personally, I think a bonsai can be given tooo much refinement.

Not criticizim...just personal taste...

Pat...maybe I should mount my trusty steed, and go riding off, wildly, in all directions...
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:45 am

Pat, not wishing to usurp Wills comments, Will believes that the tree is simply not mature enough as a bonsai to be exhibited.

We have had many years of exhibiting trees/bonsai in Europe that are not 'ready' to show, and now the bar has raised in having trees selected for exhibition... thereby elevating the whole quality of the display.

This is taking nothing away from Mikes tree, just that if it was to be considered for a show in the UK it would need to developed a lot more... that's all

"I think a bonsai can be given tooo much refinement"
I have yet to see a tree with too much refinement, I have seen many trees that are styled with pom-poms and look like trimmed poodles.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm

[quote="Tony"]
We have had many years of exhibiting trees/bonsai in Europe that are not 'ready' to show, and now the bar has raised in having trees selected for exhibition... thereby elevating the whole quality of the display.
It is an exciting time to be part of U.K. bonsai shows. Wil my trees ever catch up? pale Time will tell. scratch Rolling Eyes Wink
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

California Juniper just repotted Empty Is it Show Ready?

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:45 pm

Tony wrote: Will believes that the tree is simply not mature enough as a bonsai to be exhibited.
This is a problem with club shows, how to have enough participation, yet put on a quality show. How do you do this without angering somebody?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

California Juniper just repotted Empty Is it Show Ready?

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Hhmmm, club shows! Having been involved with them in the past, it is always difficult to ... raise the standard and involve everyone. I fully understand that not everyone wants to exhibit at a national level, but there is no reason why our trees can't reach those standards.
A section in a show that has work in progress, is a boon and educational for new club members or the public.
As I said in my first post, I like the composition and I see a great tree in the future Very Happy

Back to top Go down

California Juniper just repotted Empty What do folk who keep/create bonsai want?

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:17 pm

What do folk who keep/create bonsai want? I am struggling to respond to this thread as we have covered this topic so many times.

I understand that showing in an international show may be aiming to high for many, and fear of rejection puts many off.

David Barlow (a student who at the time I have worked with for 6 years) was so sure that his Beech raft would not be selected for the last Gingko Award left it to me to submit the tree, he did not even go to the show… he won one of the awards.

I am convinced that with the correct teaching, working with good material and being open to new ideas most individuals can have bonsai worthy of the best exhibitions anywhere in the world.

What is wrong with reaching for the moon, if you miss you will still be amongst the stars.

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Well, the only show I'm aware of that will be occuring in late spring, is the National Exhibition being held in upstate New York. Is this what your planning Mike?
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi Mike.

Very interesting tree. Smile
I tried a simple virtual. I hope it does not matter. Wink

pic.1 tree next ..??? year

California Juniper just repotted Valcal10
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:20 pm

peter wrote:Well, the only show I'm aware of that will be occuring in late spring, is the National Exhibition being held in upstate New York. Is this what your planning Mike?

Peter
I'm getting the tree ready for a local club show. I'm well aware that it's a long ways from being ready for an important show like the National. Having attended the last one, I know the quality of the entrys. At this time, I don't have anything ready for that level.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Pavel... someones been working on their PhotoShop skills... Nice Virtual my Friend.

But can you make it look like this! (throws down gauntlet)

California Juniper just repotted Pavel-10

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi Tony, your virtual is great, but i didn't make it in PhotoShop, i made it in basic Windows drawing programe. Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy Very Happy
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Hey Pavel
Bloody good job on the virtual very nice work. That would be a nice image to work towards. And will is right about the development and refinement of the tree imo. Nice tree with a good future. Smile

Eric.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:04 am

Pavel Slovák wrote:Hi Tony, your virtual is great, but i didn't make it in PhotoShop, i made it in basic Windows drawing programe. Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy Very Happy

oooops pale pale pale pale

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:13 am

Nice tree, Mike. I like Pavel's virtual too, with a subtle adjustment of the first branch. Aren't we critical.. Hope you don't mind. Laughing

California Juniper just repotted Valcal11
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:58 am

I would not emphasize the branch on the lower left.

California Juniper just repotted Mike_v10
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:33 am

G'day Tony...

Thank you for your response to my post...

I have the highest respect for your knowledge and skills...and, I have been following your posts for a number of years...and I am fully aware that Bonsai Europe is far ahead of Bonsai USA, and that there MIGHT be two shows in the USA that are moving slowly toward closing that gap.

But, please, remember that I said "...Not criticizim...just personal taste...". Further, everything that I post here is my opinion unless I clearly state otherwise.

So, my friend, keep up the good work.

Pat...mounted on my trusty steed, riding off, wildly, in all directions...
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:57 am

bonsaistud wrote:....and I am fully aware that Bonsai Europe is far ahead of Bonsai USA,

??? Not really IMHO
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 am

"I am fully aware that Bonsai Europe is far ahead of Bonsai USA, and that there MIGHT be two shows in the USA that are moving slowly toward closing that gap." BS

Bonsaistud,
I see that you live in San Francisco and yet you have never been to a BIB exhibit until this weekend AFTER you made this authoritative statement. You also mention that you have never met Boon. It does seem odd that you do not even know about the fine Artists and Exhibitons in your own backyard and yet you feel confident to make that statement.
I am curious now. Did you attend the 1st US National Exhibition held in October 2008 or have you purchased the Exhibition Album to study? I also wonder how many private collections and Artists you have visited to help form this opinion? Have you attended any of the fine public Bonsai displays or other major Exhibitions? I guess I also wonder about your European experiences as well. You seem to be quite familiar with them.
I would be interested in how the Bonsai are "far ahead" of the Bonsai in the USA.
Have you heard of KINBON? They are the leading Bonsai publication in the world. In the September 2009 issue they had an article and photos of the 1st US National Exhibition. In the review, they praised Bonsai in the USA and compared them favorably to Japanese Bonsai.
Have you read the latest Bonsai Focus, the leading European Bonsai Publication? They interviewed Mr.Keizo Ando who is currently in Europe teaching since April 2008 at the famous European Bonsai School Scuola d" Arte Bonsai. Interesting man, was taught by Mr. Hamano in the 60s', Kimura's teacher. Here are few quotes which may surprise you. "Europe is still making its first steps in Bonsai". "Looking at many trees the European students bring, the Japanese would say" It will never become a Bonsai"." "I am especially surprised by all those huge Yamadori, most of them are much to big". When asked "have you seen beautiful trees in Europe?" he answered " I have not seen very beautiful trees yet; in Japan people are very demanding-concerning the quality of needles,for instance".
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
My opinion is that there are many fine Artists, Bonsai and Shows in the Europe and the USA and we all continue to improve.

Mark

Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:31 am

Mark, I could'nt agree more but calm down Very Happy . I don't think there is any difference in the quality of trees in Europe or the USA,and see no benefit in trying to out do each other. We are all making leaps and bounds in the creation of beautiful trees Very Happy
As far as the comments made in Bonsai Europe, regarding workshop trees. Alot of students tend to take material of a lesser quality for some reason and expect the master to polish a turd!
We are ALL heading in the right direction Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:26 pm

To bring this back to Mike’s tree.......and the virtual(s) that folks have made....
IMHO I think that too much foliage on this tree as in Tony’s and Pavel’s virts would be too much. Looking at the tree, with the true signs of a long hard struggle against mother natures elements (the many basal jins, shari and top), I think it would tell the story better with less.
Cheers G
p.s. I think the other discussion here is a misunderstanding of a local show compared too a regional or national exhibit, which to me are completely different and thus the quality of trees could/would be just as different.
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Pavel Slovák wrote:Hi Mike.

Very interesting tree. Smile
I tried a simple virtual. I hope it does not matter. Wink

pic.1 tree next ..??? year

California Juniper just repotted Valcal10

Gee, I don't know...all the branches look the same! Twisted Evil

I would encourage any club holding a show to include a "Potensai" sectiobn so that those with trees in training (and not in bonsai pots) can be viewed and critiqued. Another use for the potentsai section is to show those interested in starting bonsai, that you just don't START with show trees, but have to invest some time and creativity during the process.

Even our best bonsai growers have projects that can be used for educational purposes.

Probably the best place to get comments on progressing trees would be your regular club meetings and workshop, escpecially if you stick to bringing trees that fit into the schedule of the meeting.

As for me, I have yet to "show" a tree, but I have brought in progressing stock for comments and advise.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next