Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Development of a Juniper Cascade over 18 months

+7
jjbacoomba
bonsaistud
jrodriguez
NeilDellinger
Mark
Rob Kempinski
jgeanangel
11 posters

Go down

Development of a Juniper Cascade over 18 months Empty Development of a Juniper Cascade over 18 months

Post  jgeanangel Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Hello all, In the Spring of 2008, I purchased this procumbens 'nana' juniper as nursery material from Steve Cratty at Plant City Bonsai in north Georgia.

Although I have seen some excellent bonsai created from this species in person and on the forums, in my world it has a general reputation as a species for novices and mallsai...perhaps that is just my personal bias??? Anyhow...when I looked at this material I really thought it seem to have the potential for something a little better....hopefully I have the skill to find it:)

I started working on this tree around the first of May 2008. It received its first styling, wiring, and potting. The wire was left on until mid Summer 2009 and at that point it just had to be removed because the tree was growing so fast. A few weeks ago I decided I would do some pruning on this tree to help redefine the foliage pads. After the pruning, I can see that another wiring is certainly in order and I am also looking for a real pot. I would be interested if anyone has any suggestions for a fitting container.

So here is a video that chronicles the journey:)

Last edited by jgeanangel on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Development of a Juniper Cascade over 18 months Empty Re: Development of a Juniper Cascade over 18 months

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:11 pm

If more like this J. Procumbens were in the public eye, they would be better appreciated. thumbs up

Development of a Juniper Cascade over 18 months Img_7610
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Development of a Juniper Cascade over 18 months Empty Re: Development of a Juniper Cascade over 18 months

Post  Mark Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi John,
Nice work, interesting tree. Have you considered removing the cascade branch? To my eye it detracts rather than adds to the design. Perhaps keep that branch as a low branch and remove the cascading section? For me the interest lies in the movement and harmony of the the three trunks so I would try to focus attention on them. Good luck!

Mark

Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:41 pm

That is definitely a nice one Rob!!

Mark, I actually have looked at that possibility...I would say nothing is out of the realm of possibility for this tree.

Thanks,
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:47 am

Nice work.
I agree with Mark, the cascade should be removed. The tree is a nice clump style bonsai....a very interesting one.

Thanks for sharing.
Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Rob,

So, you saw this tree while in Taiwan. A few days before your picture was taken, (by the way, that's the back part) some finishing touches were being made in Lao Tze Cheng Cheng Kung's studio. This tree was restyled for a period of two years, given the fact that a prominent lower branch died off.

Kind regards,
Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:55 am

G'day John...

You said "...general reputation as a species for novices and mallsai...". True that this is a great subject for novices. In the numerous beginners classes that I taught in Southern Arizona, we always provided a "Nana" for each student because, they are easy to work with, they are adaptable to different environments, and they can produce magnificant results as Rob illustrated. As to mallsai, these are produced by the thousands, upon thousands...why? Because they are easy to produce and they can be distributed to so many different markets.

Then you said you are "...looking for a real pot...". It occurs to me that this bonsai is much too early in it's devellopment to be concerned about a real pot...you really shouldn't be too concerned about a "real pot" for several years yet.

I don't know, John, what your experience level is, but one thing that needs to be learned as early as possible with bonsai, is patience.

If you have'nt already done so, search out a local bonsai club…join a local club, and find a “local” (someone well versed in bonsai care practices for your location). and try to establish a mentor/student relationship. IF POSSIBLE. Support your local club...and they will return the favor.

Then, always remember, and don't ever forget, that Bonsai is a trip that requires time and patience…welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  jjbacoomba Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:01 am

John, amzing progression. Very inspiring for me. I am a noob, 6 months into Bonsai.Love what you have done with your other videos too. Thanks, Joe
jjbacoomba
jjbacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:22 pm

bonsaistud wrote:G'day John...

You said "...general reputation as a species for novices and mallsai...". True that this is a great subject for novices. In the numerous beginners classes that I taught in Southern Arizona, we always provided a "Nana" for each student because, they are easy to work with, they are adaptable to different environments, and they can produce magnificant results as Rob illustrated. As to mallsai, these are produced by the thousands, upon thousands...why? Because they are easy to produce and they can be distributed to so many different markets.

Then you said you are "...looking for a real pot...". It occurs to me that this bonsai is much too early in it's devellopment to be concerned about a real pot...you really shouldn't be too concerned about a "real pot" for several years yet.

I don't know, John, what your experience level is, but one thing that needs to be learned as early as possible with bonsai, is patience.

If you have'nt already done so, search out a local bonsai club…join a local club, and find a “local” (someone well versed in bonsai care practices for your location). and try to establish a mentor/student relationship. IF POSSIBLE. Support your local club...and they will return the favor.

Then, always remember, and don't ever forget, that Bonsai is a trip that requires time and patience…welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Pat

Hello Pat...thank you for your thoughtful response. Perhaps my work doesn't demonstrate it but I have been in bonsai for almost 20 years now and patience is one of the things I like best about this hobby. I have been a past president of my local club:) As to the comment about finding a real pot...I think we both realize that finding a pot alone can be a journey of many years:)

Here is another video..this time of my display garden this past June. Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my post.

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:28 pm

jjbacoomba wrote:John, amzing progression. Very inspiring for me. I am a noob, 6 months into Bonsai.Love what you have done with your other videos too. Thanks, Joe

Thanks for replying Joe. As Pat mentioned, there is no better way to get involved in this hobby than becoming associated with other hobbyists. I am glad you like the videos. Btw...your avatar is sweet:)
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:05 am

G'day John...

Thank you for being so gracious...it's obvious now that my comments were meant for somebody else, with like 10% or less, of your experience. I believe that this thread is the first one of yours that I have read, much less responded to.

Now, having seen your display garden, I can see that your work does indeed demonstrate experience and expertice. That's a wonderful collection! I look forward to seeing much more of your work.

I hope that my comments can be of help to some of the beginners out there.

Season's best to you...

Pat...author of misdirected thoughtful responses...
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Goodness, John . . . how many elves do you employ to keep that garden so neat and clean? I have 1/3 that many trees (and keep vainly insisting that that's enough!), and my growing area always looks as if a hurricane has passed through it.

Beautiful!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Looks great, John! You have done a lot since I was last there! cheers
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:00 pm

JimLewis wrote:Goodness, John . . . how many elves do you employ to keep that garden so neat and clean? I have 1/3 that many trees (and keep vainly insisting that that's enough!), and my growing area always looks as if a hurricane has passed through it.

Beautiful!

Ha:) Jim...you need to be careful, Cindy doesn't like being called an elf:) Seriously though...it is a labor of love for us both. It certainly doesn't always look this neat:)

Thanks John!! ...this Spring, when things look nice again, we need to rectify that situation!!

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Development of a Juniper Cascade over 18 months Empty update...

Post  jgeanangel Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:02 pm

Here is where this tree ended up...

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Wow!

Fantastic result John.

No longer "just" a tree but a whole landscape. Glad you chose to keep that cascading branch as well and that rock is the perfect "pot".

Very impressive and about as far from mallsai as it's possible to get.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks Richard!
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Richard S wrote:Wow!

No longer "just" a tree but a whole landscape. Glad you chose to keep that cascading branch as well and that rock is the perfect "pot"

my thoughts exactly !!!

and john, i really dig the "feel" of your garden...
it looks like it feels like home...
warm
inviting
comforting

oh, and i didnt notice any oriental pretension Wink
{and a koi pond doesnt count}

thanks for the brief tour.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks Kevin!

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down