Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track?

3 posters

Go down

1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track? Empty 1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track?

Post  Smalloy11 Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Hello everyone,
I was hoping someone more skilled and experienced with infant Bonsais could help me with a question about my 1.5-year-old Pinus Aristata that I grew from seed. I posted on a different Bonsai forum last year when my Bonsai was 9 months old making sure she was on the right path with her growth, and anything else I could do to help in healthy growing, which someone said she was good and to put her out in the natural sun in the summer months since I live in California. Now, I am wanting to make sure she is doing alright seeing as she appears a little dry in the "trunk" and "leaves", sidenote: I do not put her outside when it is over 90 degrees here in California because it is just so hot I am worried about to much heat, so instead I keep her on our kitchen window sill. I am attaching some photos and would love to hear back from someone on what they think of how she is looking, thank you!
1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track? Img_4110
1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track? Img_4111
1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track? Img_4112
Smalloy11
Smalloy11

Back to top Go down

1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track? Empty Bristlecone seedling

Post  Potawatomi13 Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:00 am

Sad to see this young one looking so sad.  I love Bristlecones and have 3 of the 4 species including my oldest an aristata I've had since 1994. This is its 32nd growing season.  Some questions for you?

Has this tree been outside all year long?  (Did not read your post well enough)

Does this pot have drainage holes?

How recent is this picture?

What is personal specific location and USDA zone please?

Some answers and needs for these and pines in general:

1. Except for tropical pines they need to be outdoors all year long.

2, Generally in full sun at least 3/4 of the day.

3. Roots/pots should not be allowed to get HOT and kill the roots.

4.Soil/substrate should stay damp.  Not wet/NEVER dry.

5. If still green at all spray with diluted weak fertilizer water several times a day and keep in 1/2 day sunny spot out of wind to see if life persists.  Will help all I can.

Last edited by Potawatomi13 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:13 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)

Potawatomi13

Smalloy11 likes this post

Back to top Go down

1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track? Empty Re: 1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track?

Post  Smalloy11 Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:00 pm

Thank you for your reply ..
-the tree has not been outside ALL year long , in the summer months however I have been putting it outside for full sun (our extreme heat here in Sacramento , CA made me fearful of scorching the tree , so I’ve brought it inside on those days)
-the picture is from the day of my posting & yes the little pot has drainage holes
-Roseville , California . Zone 9b

Look forward to hearing your response on potential advice for my Bonsai & bringing it back to a healthful appearance!
Smalloy11
Smalloy11

Back to top Go down

1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track? Empty Re: 1.5 year old Pinus Aristata, Too dry? Or on track?

Post  Potawatomi13 Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:18 am

As long as any green is showing I think the suggestions I gave above should be good for now.  Bringing any pine in the house is going to be bad for the tree. Let me know if it starts to show any signs of renewed health.

Potawatomi13

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:24 pm

You should take a trip up the Mountians and visit their home territory. The summers are hotter that the pits of Hell and the Winters will freez your urine into cubes before it hits the ground. You are probably watering it too much and babying it too much.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down