Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai under Lights

3 posters

Go down

Bonsai under Lights Empty Bonsai under Lights

Post  bonsaisr Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:49 pm

I am scheduled to give a talk on bonsai under lights next fall. I have been growing bonsai under regular fluorescent lights for 20 years. I also have some idea of how HID lights work. However, I would like information on T5 fluorescents and LED lights. If anyone has grown bonsai in these settings, successful or not, please let me know. Pictures would help.
Happy Hanuka,
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Bonsai under Lights Empty Re: Bonsai under Lights

Post  CharlieBear Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:49 pm

New here but am expecting my T5 plant stand and lights in a couple days. There is a really informative section on lighting for all indoor plants at this URL..it is exhaustive and enlightening..(no pun intended) BTW bonsaisr I so appreciate the time you take to post your straightforward remarks in this forum..in fact everyone seems so helpful ..but for me your posting style stands out...Bye bye

Here is the link to the 'Lights' section of the site I mentioned
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights.shtml

Charlie NW Arkansas zone 6b
CharlieBear
CharlieBear

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:20 pm

I have grown orchids and other plants under regular fluroescent for years. Last year I bought some T5 fixtures. There is no comparison. My orchids and cacti bloomed like never before under the T5. There are two types of T5 - regular and high output (HO). I use the HO. A regular T5 four foot long bulb is 28 watts and produces about 3,000 lumens. The T5 HO is 54 watts and puts out 5,000 lumens. Regular fluorescent are 48 watts and produce less than 2,000 lumens. You can see that the regular T5 use less electricity (28 vs 48 watts) and put our 50% more lumens than plain fluorescents. Lumens per watt is a meaningful way to compare bulbs. Regular = 41 lumens/watt T5 = 107 and T5 HO = 92. The HO is less efficient but produces more light (lumens).

LED is a new technology with lots of promise. I see lots of info on the internets about LED and marijuana because LED use much less electricity. I don't think LED are ready for prime time yet. Don't believe all the LED hype.

This is a good source of info on T5 http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightingAnswers/lat5/abstract.asp

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlieBear Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:01 pm

TY Frank or the equation on lumens per watt as that gives me a great yardstick to go by..or should i say to 'grow by' I have read some comments that LED lighting while showing promise has some nay-sayers too. And those ones have predominantly been photogaphers. With LED illumination alone..plants appear in an unnatural hue. Yes I am sure the pot growers like them too. I suppose the more adventuresome growers are now comparing notes on indoor growing with their cell mates. But on to serious stuff...I have had my Chinese Elm a mere two weeks but am so in love with it. It is about 14" high above it's soil and has been putting out new shoots and has seemingly acclimated well to it's temporary home even with sill of a a south facing window and about 18" - 24" back from it. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. I want to post as well (as total Bonsai newbie) there are several really great Bonsai videos for free viewing on www.youtube.com In fact based on one of them I gave my Elm it's first pruning of any degree. It had become rather closed-in looking and lost some Bonsai presentation form. I pruned away foliage that obscured limbs and am so glad i did. Now my little darling "Bernie Bonsai" looks as if he just arrived from Shangai!

So thanks again Frank for your 'illumninating' reply....I have rambled far too long.
Happy growing to all...

Charlie in NW Arkansas - Zone 6b
CharlieBear
CharlieBear

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down