Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Jasmine Under Lights

5 posters

Go down

Water Jasmine Under Lights Empty Water Jasmine Under Lights

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi!

Are there any Northern growers that are growing Water Jasmine under lights in the winter? I'm curious as to how well they do. Thanks!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Water Jasmine Under Lights Empty Re: Water Jasmine Under Lights

Post  AlainK Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Why don't you just grow local species?

scratch

Or move to Colorado and start a buisiness there? thumbs up 
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:18 pm

AlainK wrote:Why don't you just grow local species?

scratch

Or move to Colorado and start a buisiness there? thumbs up 
LOL I grow what I want to grow, and that's the way it's been for years. There's no changing that or telling me otherwise.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:21 pm

OK Cool 

Keep posting more pictures to show us further developements of your project Wink 
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:40 pm

AlainK wrote:OK Cool 

Keep posting more pictures to show us further developements of your project Wink 
I've grown Ficus under lights for years. I don't yet have the Wrightia, as I'm just trying to gather information about how well they work for bonsai, etc.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Ryan, I've had 2 small wrightias for a couple of years. One is W. religiosa (standard water jasmine) and the other is W. vietnamensis (dwarf water jasmine). I've had difficulty with both (but more with the latter). They put out new growth but it quickly turns yellow and leaves eventually drop. Over time both plants have weakened. I've tried different soils, different fertilizers, different amounts of heat/humidity.

However, as I've posted elsewhere...I'm having the same problems with most of my other tropicals (including ficus, grewia, brush cherry, jaboticaba) so it must be something I'm doing wrong. But since I can't seem to figure it out, I'm looking to eliminate most of my tropical "collection".

I think Jerry Meislik has quite a bit of info on his website...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:08 pm

coh wrote:Ryan, I've had 2 small wrightias for a couple of years. One is W. religiosa (standard water jasmine) and the other is W. vietnamensis (dwarf water jasmine). I've had difficulty with both (but more with the latter). They put out new growth but it quickly turns yellow and leaves eventually drop. Over time both plants have weakened. I've tried different soils, different fertilizers, different amounts of heat/humidity.

However, as I've posted elsewhere...I'm having the same problems with most of my other tropicals (including ficus, grewia, brush cherry, jaboticaba) so it must be something I'm doing wrong. But since I can't seem to figure it out, I'm looking to eliminate most of my tropical "collection".

I think Jerry Meislik has quite a bit of info on his website...

Thanks Chris! Interesting to find out about the standard verses the dwarf version. I wonder what the size difference is in terms of leaves. I've seen some incredible shohin sized ones on this site and they've inspired me. Sad to hear that you're having difficulty with the small leaf version though. I wonder what the problem is....

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:04 am

I have a W. religiosa that thrives outside during the summer and does quite well in the SW window for the winter until it gets infected with scale. The scale suck it dry are a difficult to get rid of. Outside in the late spring I can hit it with stronger systemic insecticides and get the scale under control so it grows well for a few months. I would like to know of a way to keep the scale under control that is indoor friendly.

Last edited by Marty Weiser on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 am

I have a pretty large indoor light garden, in the basement. My Wrightia winters there. I have also had trouble with leaves being a bit on the yellow-green side. But they don't drop, the tree has stayed moderately healthy. Bloomed under lights too. I was under either a 4 tube fixture of T-5 lamps. Or in previous years under a 400 Watt HPS. Seems bright enough.

I bring the Wrightia indoors about the time temperatures start dropping into the low 50F at night. Same with Ficus. My light garden is in the basement, unheated, but the lamps generate enough heat that it is usually above 70 F during the day. Cooler at night. I won't say it is thriving under lights, but I do get growth. Outside it wakes up and does most of the growing it is going to do.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Woops, just realized I never replied!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I didn't end up getting a Water Jasmine from the nursery, as I'm still uncertain about it. I've seen incredible mame/shohin jasmine, and would love to be able to do that, but does anyone know how well the standard water jasmine's leaves reduce in size? How small can they get?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down