Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air layering in winter?

2 posters

Go down

Air layering in winter? Empty Air layering in winter?

Post  Oswiu Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:57 pm

Has anybody attempted to air layer in the late autumn or winter and then leave it until the next autumn? If so, does it work?

Last edited by Oswiu on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)

Oswiu

Back to top Go down

Air layering in winter? Empty Re: Air layering in winter?

Post  Oswiu Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:07 pm

Since one can take hardwood cuttings in the autumn and leave them outside or in the fridge during the winter then root them in spring, I can't imagine an air layer would be any different. So I have attempted a small number (3) of air layerings on trees on my property in the last week.

Oswiu

Zorba68 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Air layering in winter? Empty Air layering in winter

Post  Zorba68 Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi Oswiu,
I am no expert, and just a beginner, but my understanding is that you need to leave it approx 6 weeks minimum, I am not sure that it would be wise to wait until next autumn. I also recently have air layered a Crab Apple and the 6 weeks is up at the end of December, so if it is successful I shall plant it and place it in a frost free environment and see if I can be successful in growing my first Crab Apple Bonsai. Wish me luck I need it Rolling Eyes

Zorba68

Back to top Go down

Post  Oswiu Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:32 am

Zorba68, I would be concerned that the crap apple would not have reached it's cold hour requirement by the end of December. I would leave it until at least March or April. This is something that can be researched fairly easily, however.

Oswiu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down