Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satsuki Kinsai flowers

4 posters

Go down

Satsuki Kinsai flowers Empty Satsuki Kinsai flowers

Post  Zitrus Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:46 pm

Does anybody know if the two kinds of flowers of a Satsuki kinsai are consequence of genetics or depend on another reason?,
Thanks in advance!

Zitrus

Back to top Go down

Satsuki Kinsai flowers Empty Re: Satsuki Kinsai flowers

Post  Merovingian Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

This would be 100% Genetics. A narrower question would be if they are a man made hybrid. Ans: Satsuki evergreen azaleas have been hybridized in Japan for at least 500 years.

Kinsai is one of the oldest Hybridized Satsuki.

Hope this helps.
Mero~

Merovingian

Back to top Go down

Post  Zitrus Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks a lot Merovingian, of course it helps. Do you know if there are any factors that can estimulate producing the thinner petals?. A friend of mine read in an old book that kinsa trends to produce more thin petals when it’s given less fertilizer, but in my humple opinion, that’s not reasonable. Maybe sun light,...I only know that “fat” flowers are dominant and I have to cut their branches. Any advice to have more thin flowers?
Sorry about my english

Zitrus

Back to top Go down

Post  Merovingian Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:42 pm

This touches on the how and why of flowers and is a great primer for general knowledge,

https://www.azaleas.org/wp-content/uploads/azalean/23/2/articles/The_Changing_Fashion_of_Satsuki.pdf

Mero~

Merovingian

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:17 am

Zitrus wrote: ..I only know that “fat” flowers are dominant and I have to cut their branches. Any advice to have more thin flowers?

If you don't cut the fat flowering branches the entire plant will revert to the fat flowers.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zitrus Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks a lot for your advices Merovingian and Bruce.
The tree was loosing force specially in it's apex, in it's bonsai pot. I have repotted to a much bigger one to see if I recover it. I'm also going to remove all the future flowers. Next year I will remove all the fat ones

Zitrus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Satsuki are naturally basally dominant. Good management and thoughful pruning helps redress this for bonsai. Overpotting should really be done slowly and in stages, otherwise large areas of soil remaining wet can cause root problems. Flower bud removal to build strength is a good idea, when a tree is appearing weak.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Merovingian Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 am

Zitrus wrote:Thanks a lot for your advices Merovingian and Bruce.
The tree was loosing force specially in it's apex, in it's bonsai pot. I have repotted to a much bigger one to see if I recover it. I'm also going to remove all the future flowers. Next year I will remove all the fat ones

Does it have any large cut scars from branch removal?

Larger pot does not equal recovery.

Have you done Mesuki and Higari on it properly?? Is it Northern, Southern or Hybrid?>

Specific weak areas can usually be traced right down to the root. I asked about large cuts because they will also go down through the inside and kill a tree slowly if done improperly.

Have a picture? 1000 words....

Mero~

Merovingian

Back to top Go down

Post  Merovingian Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:25 am

Kev Bailey wrote:Satsuki are naturally basally dominant. Good management and thoughful pruning helps redress this for bonsai. Overpotting should really be done slowly and in stages, otherwise large areas of soil remaining wet can cause root problems. Flower bud removal to build strength is a good idea, when a tree is appearing weak.

I agree, youre going to lose the shin, it will drop out and need to be regrown. Thats very hard on the tree.

Merovingian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down