Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I stop my trees being 2 dimensional?

Go down

How do I stop my trees being 2 dimensional? Empty How do I stop my trees being 2 dimensional?

Post  bonsai monkey Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Winter is almost here so it’s a good time to contemplate your deciduous trees. Now I’m not one to suffer from the Winter Blues but upon closer inspection I’ve noticed that a lot of my trees are quite 2 dimensional. I’ve been very lucky to have witnessed first hand so many fantastic trees this year, with more to come with the trips that I have planed next year, but I’m beginning to feel that I’ve lost the plot with many of my deciduous trees. Evergreens you can get away with murder, and I often do, but with the leaf dropping kind it seems that it’s a different ball game.

I seem to have got the height (well as much as you can have with Mame & Shohin) and the width but have lost the plot when it comes to the depth giving the tree a pleasing image. What am I doing wrong? I’ve now taken to looking at one of my naked trees from above to help but I can’t seem to get my head around it Confused

Please, please help otherwise I’ll end up the Cotoneaster King from Kent!!! Sad

Forever grateful, your humble Padawan,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

How do I stop my trees being 2 dimensional? Empty How do I stop my trees being 2 dimensional?

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:32 am

Can you post a couple of pics, from the front and sides. This should be no problem to sort out. Whenever I design a tree, I place more importance on the depth than I do on the width. When considering negative space, if you give a hint of the back, within that space, you will show depth.

Back to top Go down