Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face to face

+2
MartinSweeney
AJ
6 posters

Go down

Face to face Empty Face to face

Post  AJ Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:23 pm

[img]Face to face Atlant10[/img]
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Face to face Empty Re: Face to face

Post  AJ Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:59 pm

[img]Face to face Atlant12[/img]
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Face to face Empty The Evil Eye!

Post  Guest Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:16 pm

Love the deadwood AJ, Is it a bonsai?

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:36 pm

[img]Face to face Atlant13[/img]
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:41 pm

A Thuja and very old. You going to tell us about it ?

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:05 pm

[img]Face to face Copy_o11[/img]

Atlantic Whitecedar
(Chamaecyparis thyoides)
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Post  MartinSweeney Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:31 am

AJ,

You are being remarkably tight-lipped. Like Will, I would like to read a little of the history behind this tree.
Is the picture from the most recent Expo?

Regards,
Martin

MartinSweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:01 am

Here is a hint...I think:) I believe this tree was created by a North American Bonsai artist who is notable for his anthropomorphic work and other "out of box" creations. I also believe that it was gifted to the arboretum in the last 18 months or so (I could be totally wrong about this).
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Goes by the name Nick?
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Sorry; out of town and blissfully disconnected from technology for the last few days.

My friend John G. is correct. This bonsai was collected, styled and recently donated to the NC Arboretum by Mr. Nick Lenz. He also made the container in which it's potted. Although Mr. Lenz is well known for his innovative creativity, which sometimes includes manipulating deadwood on bonsai to include such things as the image of a face, in this case I don't think it is so. The "face" in this piece is rather obscure and appears to have occurred naturally.
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:03 pm

After an unseasonably mild November, the weather in western North Carolina has finally begun to get cold. Last week there were several nights when the temperature went into the 20's (Fahrenheit), and tomorrow night it will supposedly drop to the teens. Winter coloration of foliage is beginning to show itself on "evergreens" like this whitecedar:

[img]Face to face Nature10[/img]

Some people express dislike for the seasonal browning or yellowing of foliage on trees such as falsecypress, arborvitae, cryptomeria, juniper or even pine, and cultivated varieties of some of these plants have been developed for their tendency to stay green through the winter. Another way of looking at it is that the change of appearance in these plants is as normal for them as dropping leaves is for deciduous species. Of course, some people don't like bare trees, either. For me, these characteristics come under the heading of winter interest and are appreciated as such, both in the landscape and in bonsai.

The above image also better shows a certain peculiar feature of this particular bonsai. There is a hole in the deadwood, one that goes clear through and is apparently not a natural feature:

[img]Face to face Nature11[/img]

The hole is a mystery to me. Perhaps it was drilled there for some reason relative to the training of the tree once it was collected. There are other possibilities, though; the hole is just about the size you'd expect from a .22 caliber bullet.
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:32 pm

not sure about the hole??? I am no expert but I wouldn't think a 22 would leave a clean hole all the way through...but maybe trees are different than people???

As to the winter color issues, I am one of those for which winter colors only make me long for Spring. My garden is very exposed to wind and my junipers and several other species always develop significant Winter color. I actually find it a little depressing.

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:03 am

I agree with John as far as winter color goes...just makes me long for spring. That being said, here are two pics from Mr Kimura's garden showing some amazing winter (February) attire...
Face to face Omiya_10

Face to face Omiya_11
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Face to face 2011_e11
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Face to face Empty Face to Face

Post  bonsaisr Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:06 pm

I assume the name of this bonsai is "Kein Ain Hara." Rough translation, No (don't allow) Evil Eye.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:19 pm

AJ wrote:Face to face 2011_e11

Can't wait...it will be here before we know it!!

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down