Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Large Ficus

4 posters

Go down

Large Ficus Empty Large Ficus

Post  Gentleman Jack Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:24 pm

I've had this tree for about 20 years. Five years ago I drastically re-styled it, basically taking it down to one branch (the large branch on the left) and stating over. Since then the crown has developed nicely, although it still has a long way to go, and so has the branch on the right. Overall, I'm happy with the general design. I plan to work on developing ariel rooting this summer. The trunk measures 20" around, and the tree stands 26" from the soil line. Comments welcome.Large Ficus 6319bf4d-8d7b-48a8-a78b-16d696e48d9b_zpshhwwpwzsLarge Ficus DSCN0576_zpsqdu5d13n

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Large Ficus Empty Large Ficus

Post  geo Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:04 pm

Ficus what? I only ask because you have had a lot of growth from the cut you made above the left branch.
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Large Ficus Empty Re: Large Ficus

Post  Gentleman Jack Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:11 pm

I'm not sure what type of ficus it is, I got it a long time ago and sadly, I've completely forgotten. Embarassed

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:12 am

Nice tree, I like it, especially the crown and the overall shape.

I assume the bark on the main trunk and right branch is a different colour because it's newer growth?

I know very little about Ficus (or any other tropical) but the one thing that I'd try to change if it were possible would be those crossing roots at the front. It's only a minor point really and like I say, I don't know if it's easy or even possible to sort those roots out. Perhaps if you succeed in developing aerial roots it will address that issue.

Anyway, it's a nice tree thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman Jack Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:50 am

Hi Richard. Yes, the newer growth comes in with brown bark, which gradually becomes an almost pure white. I will be working on the crossing roots this summer. Once the roots cross they frequently fuse making it impossible to move them, but I should be able to make some improvement. I also intend to get some nice aerial roots established. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for your nice post, and glad you like the tree.

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:32 am

I would de concerned about an unsightly bulge where the bar branch is(the first two branches).  Very interesting trunk!
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman Jack Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:25 pm

Precarious wrote:I would de concerned about an unsightly bulge where the bar branch is(the first two branches).  Very interesting trunk!

I agree, it could be an issue in the future and is something to watch out for. Hopefully, as the crown thickens, the entire tree will look proportional.

Gentleman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down