Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Rescued bougainvillea #1

2 posters

Go down

My Rescued bougainvillea #1 Empty My Rescued bougainvillea #1

Post  novsai_Koloy Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:41 am

Hi all,

So for a short story.. I found 3 bougies left un-attended somewhere in our community plaza. Crying or Very sad  Used to be placed at our pyramid-shaped shed which was the center of our subdivision. The home owners changed the landscape to plants which were planted directly to the ground so these bougies were set aside. A few of our neighbours took some of them and these 3 were left on the perimeter wall and was left there. So mid last year I asked permission to take it with me and care for it. I wasn't sure whether they would survive or not. Luckily all 3 survived. Sorry didn't took a picture of their state when I got them. Some branches were removed either because they were dead or because they were just too long in order for me to carry them back home.

Here's one of them.

My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160210

My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160211

These photos were taken early this year, maybe around 5-6 months after I took them home. It recovered well so far. Around 2 weeks ago, I re potted it and did some root and branch ( no big branches just the small/new ones ) pruning since if you can see, the roots went down then back up and out of the soil then went back in. There was almost no soil left on the pot and the roots were BIG. the only soil that was left was just on the top most part around 1/4 of the pot and the rest down were roots. I gambled and took the chance to prune the roots. Cool  

Here's the aftermath. Some weeks after.

My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160212

My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160213

Right now it has a 2 inch thick base and it's currently around 10 inches tall. I will let it grow wild again to enable it to develop more roots since I removed most of them. I thought I killed it but when I saw the buds and new leave popping out.. cheers yey..  it survived. time to share it. Very Happy I'm planning on removing the lowest horizontal branch but I think it would be best to do it after it has recovered. Or maybe just kill that branch by removing the bark. Now that's a maybe. Razz  

For the other 2 maybe I'll do the same method and will share the results later. ( if they'll survive. Twisted Evil )
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

My Rescued bougainvillea #1 Empty Update

Post  novsai_Koloy Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:36 pm

My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160310
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

My Rescued bougainvillea #1 Empty Re: My Rescued bougainvillea #1

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:16 pm

nice job with FREE material (the best kind !!!)

any thoughts of losing that lowest ground hugging branch at some point ?
(not saying you should or shouldnt... just wondering)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  novsai_Koloy Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:56 pm

Yes, I already said it on the first post but at that time I was not sure whether to just cut it or to make a dead branch. After taking care of my #2, I would go with just cutting it. They really have a very soft wood and I don't have the means to preserve dead wood so better to just cut it and hope that the wound would heal.

By the way here's #2.. this one had the worst state when I brought them home. It was 80% dead..
a few months after I had rescued them..  cheers
My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160214

Around 2 weeks ago I was transferring it in a smaller container same as what I did with #1..  Crying or Very sad sadly the dead trunk broke off. I unintentionally hit it while I was removing the soil.
My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160314

I don't know if this is a fail, only time could tell..  Very Happy So here it is today doing great, I think I'll just let it grow and give it to my mother once I can build up foliage and shoot some more flowers..  Laughing
My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160312
My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160313
My Rescued bougainvillea #1 20160315
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:38 pm

novsai_Koloy wrote:Yes, I already said it on the first post but at that time I was not sure whether to just cut it or to make a dead branch. After taking care of my #2, I would go with just cutting it. They really have a very soft wood and I don't have the means to preserve dead wood so better to just cut it and hope that the wound would heal.

sorry - i missed that...

re: preserving dead wood, i would think you would be able to find something locally for doing that...
a type of product designed to preserve wood or stop soft rot in building applications that it is applied prior to painting...

not a fill product but a liquid to be absorbed product.

here in north america we have several choices like minwax wood hardener
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  novsai_Koloy Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks Kev.. I will check our local hardware for such products..
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down