Aftercare for Yews - Taxus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Aftercare for Yews - Taxus

Post  leatherback on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Today I had an oppertunity: A long-ago abandonded Yew / Taxus nursery has been sold and the new owner was cleaning out the plot. Over 600 plants were removed and tossed in containers. In exchange for a few hours of work, I brought home 5 decent-sized trees (about 20cm/8inch trunks on the biggest), cut down to stumps just above the main trunk splits, with no foliage..

They now sit in contaiers, with well-draining substrate, root system washed out completely. Will post pics later/tomorrow. (Too buggered now; 12 hours working trees).

What is the best route to take?

Some advice sun,. others shade. Some say water daily. Others advice to let the substrate dry out completely to encourge root development.

Who knows..?

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Re: Aftercare for Yews - Taxus

Post  MKBonsai on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:23 am

Yews are pretty tough so there is a good chance yours will be fine. I'd keep them in partial sun/shade so they are not in full sun at the hottest parts of the day, but to ensure they are getting a bit of sun. I'd water them with a solution containing Rhizotonic, and mist them once a day to try and help new bud development. They should bud if they have survived the shock. I would tend to keep them at least moist as I'm not sure letting the roots dry out is the best idea.

Good luck and please post pictures if they survive OK.

MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:32 pm

So this is what I have been uo to..

Rootball, after washing and rough reducing, before cleaning all the cut ends.

One of three decent plants

Nr 2

Nr 3, the best of the lot.

The other two are true carve-material. Just stumps, but fat.

All in line, waiting for recovery...

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:09 pm

I think, going back in time, I would have recommended to leave them with soil and replant them into a growing bed... Other than that, I would go with the suggestions already mentioned... Having collected a couple dozen yews, I have recognized that health in the first year does not mean that it is going to make it (no matter how much new growth they provide)... so give them a couple years in their pots to rest and prove they are ready for anything else. Good luck!

daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:29 pm

daudelus wrote:Having collected a couple dozen yews, I have recognized that health in the first year does not mean that it is going to make it (no matter how much new growth they provide)... so give them a couple years in their pots to rest and prove they are ready for anything else. Good luck!

Absolutely right. I have understood that for true yamadori yews, the wait is untill you get more than 15cm / 6 inches of growth in a season, else it is not ready yet

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum