Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Large Collected Garden Yew

+6
john blanchard
TonyRoch
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Thomas Urban
yamasuri
ydde72183
10 posters

Go down

Large Collected Garden Yew Empty Large Collected Garden Yew

Post  ydde72183 Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:41 am

I found this large yew on craiglist for free! Someone just wanted it removed from their yard so I jumped at the chance. This is my first time digging up a large bush for bonsai stock and it was a lot harder than I had expect. I definitely earned this one!! I wasn't going to dig it up but then I found the curvy beautiful trunk line hidden in the back. I only removed what I was sure I wouldn't be using and also what I needed to remove in order to fit into my car. The foliage is all concentrated on the tips of the branches. I have planted and secured it in a large pot with pretty decent draining soil (cactus soil from Home Depot) It was the best I could find in a pinch.

Now, I just hope that it survives. I'm a little worried because of the time of year I collected it. I live in Hoboken New Jersey and winter is not too far. It seemed to have a good deal of feeder roots and I kept as many as I could. As tempted as I am to prune it back, I want to keep some green on the branches as to not kill it. Further down the road, I'm sure I will need to pick up some power tools and learn some deadwood carving techniques on this big guy. if anyone has any advice on having a yew collected in September survive a winter and then back bud and thrive, I would appreciated it.

Large Collected Garden Yew Img_4715
Large Collected Garden Yew Img_4713
Large Collected Garden Yew Img_4714
Large Collected Garden Yew Img_4716
ydde72183
ydde72183

Back to top Go down

Large Collected Garden Yew Empty Re: Large Collected Garden Yew

Post  yamasuri Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 am

Nice catch. You from Florida the tree should survive transplant at this time.....NOT at my place. For my taste I should still reduced the foliage more. Cross fingers for you Smile
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Hey man,

sweet dig and find. I think you have a nice mat of roots and quite a lot of foliage so just make sure you monitor the balance of water and oxygen (not too wet or completely dry) and you should be fine. Not sure how the winters are there but if it gets below freezing then maybe some shelter away from the wind would go a long way. Even just keeping it on the ground where it's sheltered will go a long way.
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:34 pm

yamasuri wrote:Nice catch. You from Florida the tree should survive transplant at this time
Vlad - Florida is a looooong way from Jersey !!!

I will say though that I am surprised that there is a real place called Hoboken !!!
I always thought that was just a funny name like Palookaville Razz Wink

Anyways, I agree with Tom, except I would even go further after all that work...
IF it gets below freezing there, I would shelter it in an unheated garage or something similar...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  ydde72183 Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Haha. In Vlad's defensive, he wrote that before I had a chance to update my location. I live in Hoboken now, just sound of Weehawken!!! I used to live in Okeechobee, FL (Oh-kee-cho-bee) I guess I come from a long history of funny names.

It's way too large to haul back through my apartment and down the stairs into any sort of garage setting. I have an uninsulated sunroom that might work for really cold spells. Would covering it with a tarp or burlap bag during windy/cold spells during the colder months outside be sufficient? I think thats the route I'm going to need to take. I don't know, I definitely see a long winter of being vigilant ahead. Thanks again guys.
ydde72183
ydde72183

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:19 pm

ydde72183 wrote:Haha. In Vlad's defensive, he wrote that before I had a chance to update my location. I live in Hoboken now, just sound of Weehawken!!! I used to live in Okeechobee, FL (Oh-kee-cho-bee) I guess I come from a long history of funny names.

It's way too large to haul back through my apartment and down the stairs into any sort of garage setting. I have an uninsulated sunroom that might work for really cold spells. Would covering it with a tarp or burlap bag during windy/cold spells during the colder months outside be sufficient? I think thats the route I'm going to need to take. I don't know, I definitely see a long winter of being vigilant ahead.  Thanks again guys.

Thanks man you save my A$$ Embarassed ...while reading Kevin's reply I scrolled up to you avatar and can't believe my eyes the "location" has changed...??? what's going onnnn?? early alzheimer??? .....Kevin is an old joker ...hehe ...do I deserve appology I love you
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyRoch Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:48 am

I see a nice trunk line there.
Would be a great piece to work on.
Enjoy.

Large Collected Garden Yew Img_4710
TonyRoch
TonyRoch

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:04 pm

yamasuri wrote: Kevin is an old joker ...hehe

Sorry Vlad !
I just can't help myself... geek

re: the over-wintering of this... if that unheated sunroom of yours can be kept COLD but above freezing, it may be an ideal overwintering situation for this newly collected material... I was surprised to learn from Todd Schlafer that he will sometimes allow a newly collected specimen to skip or have a very light dormancy period the first winter it was collected. BUT be mindful of daytime temps in that sunroom, even an unheated one, as on a sunny day, they can heat up considerably.

Another option would be to set the pot into a larger container (with drainage holes) and then fill the void with a bunch of mulch or something similar... this will create a buffer, slowing down rapid changes in temperature, thus further protecting the root zone... and wrapping the foliage in burlap can help prevent wind desiccation.

Luckily, overwintering it will be much easier as it gets accustomed to vessel culture...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Large Collected Garden Yew Empty -large-collected-garden-yew

Post  john blanchard Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:32 pm

There is a root growth spurt in autumn where I'am from so you should be lucky. Walter pall has recently root pruned a maple this autumn, you should be able to read about it with a search. But he makes clear the need to keep the tree totally frost free. Have you thought of using Rhizotonic or other root booster now in autumn to aid the roots? I'd give it a go.
john blanchard
john blanchard

Back to top Go down

Large Collected Garden Yew Empty Winter Heat Beds for Newly Collected Material

Post  Dave Leppo Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:22 am

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:46 pm

john blanchard wrote:(...) Walter pall has recently root pruned a maple this autumn, (...) Have you thought of using Rhizotonic or other root booster now in autumn to aid the roots? I'd give it a go.

A maple is not a yew. Smile

Using Rhizotonic or other root booster now in autumn is good advice.

BTW, nice starter tree, many options.

I think it'll have to stay in the same pot for at least 2-3 years before you really begin to work the upper part.

You have time, I wouldn't hurry. I'd focus on the health of the plant first.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:56 am

AlainK wrote:
john blanchard wrote:(...) Walter pall has recently root pruned a maple this autumn, (...) Have you thought of using Rhizotonic or other root booster now in autumn to aid the roots? I'd give it a go.

A maple is not a yew.  Smile

Using Rhizotonic or other root booster now in autumn is good advice.

BTW, nice starter tree, many options.

I think it'll have to stay in the same pot for at least 2-3 years before you really begin to work the upper part.

You have time, I wouldn't hurry. I'd focus on the health of the plant first.
Absolutely agree with you Alain
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  tonywel Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:39 pm

I have replanted many pine around sept. her in Chicago. I just potted a very large Witch Hazel stump ( approx. 10" trunk ) from a garden of a friend. it had almost no leaves, because I didn't dig it out, a landscaper did he was just going to dump it. Get Dyna Bloom, and K.L.M. and " feed weakly, weekly". You can get these product on Amazon . In just 2 wks. the tree is growing and has had to be trimmed. Witch hazel get large leaves I kept the tree in a place that got morning sun and afternoon shade. If we have a nice fall, and so far we have I am sure that the tree will survive our winters. Best of luck with your first collected tree.

tonywel

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi,

tonywel wrote:I have replanted many pine around sept. her in Chicago. I just potted a very large Witch Hazel stump ( approx. 10" trunk )  from a garden of a friend. it had almost no leaves, because I didn't dig it out, a landscaper did he was just going to dump it. Get Dyna Bloom, and K.L.M. and " feed weakly, weekly". You can get these product on Amazon . In just 2 wks. the tree is  growing and has had to be trimmed. Witch hazel get large leaves I kept the tree in a place that got morning sun and afternoon shade. If we have a nice fall, and so far we have I am sure that the tree will survive our winters. Best of luck with your first collected tree.

I'm not sure the climate is exactly the same in Chicago and New Jersey, and anyway a pine is not a yew. And neither is witch hazel: one should be careful not to think that all species "work" the same.

Besides, what's a "pine"? The best time to repot a Japanese black pine is not the same for a Scots pine or a Mugo pine.

What's more, some trees can be pruned hard, others are more touchy: most people here (some of them who had trees selected for a national, and even an international exhibit) told me that removing more than 1/3rd of the foliage on a yew can be risky....

FWIW
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Large Collected Garden Yew Empty yews

Post  tonywel Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:25 pm

I have been doing Bonsai foe over 40yrsw, and you are right a yew is not a pine, but in the Chicagoland area we treat Pines and yew almost the same way. I have over 75 trees in my collection, and I have had 30-35 Yews over the years, most have been sold at bonsai shows. If you want to complicate your repotting in the spring, you can get into what is the best time to repot any pine. I know what works for me. The people at the international show are from around the country. What works for them may not work in Chicago, or New Jersey. In the spring when I have as many trees to repot, I do what has work for me over a very long period of time . I have other bonsai practitioner in my area that do what works for them. The Chicagoland area is over 40 miles square. In my collection I have 5 Black pines , 4 collected Ponderosa, 1 White pine, and Spans Dwarf pine which I just got from Brussel last May. Almost all the other pines I have had for over 10 yrs. I tell all the new people, you have to find what will work for you.

tonywel

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi tonywel,

I do what has work for me over a very long period of time

I have no doubt at all that not only it works well, but also that you have great trees.

I didn't question your expertise, I only wanted to point out that different trees in different climates don't react the same. No harm intended.

We all wish this yew will thrive and become a nice bonsai. No harm intended: hearing different points of view is a way of improving when one takes what seems to be best suited to their environment, isn't it?

Have I been too curt (again)?... Crying or Very sad
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Large Collected Garden Yew Empty The Yew

Post  djlen Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:36 am

I live in Somerdale, So. Jersey and I've got several Yews. All pulled out of the ground. They are tough to get out.....I agree.
However I've never lost one yet. I find them to be tough bushes and very adaptable to any style of bonsai. I would go into
protection mode at this time since you just pulled it. An unheated room or garage with a view should do the trick when you expect
your first frost. By with a view I mean put it where it can get some light from a south window if possible. It's 'leaves' are going
to appreciate light even though it'll be mostly dormant.
BTW, I feed mine 1/2 dosage of Holly Tone fertilizer 2 or 3 times a season. They seem, to love it.
I find them to be very hardy and just put them under a bench out of the wind for Winter once established. Good luck. I think you'll be happy
with that one. Looks like a nice subject, down the road.

Regards,
Len
djlen
djlen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down