Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brand New Bonsai - Privet

4 posters

Go down

Brand New Bonsai - Privet Empty Brand New Bonsai - Privet

Post  blumunki Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:33 am

Hi all,

I am a new bonsai enthusiast and recently purchased my first tree. It is a four year old Privet (ligustrum lucidum). So far I have been having some questions regarding watering. I have been feeling the soil to determine when it needs watering, but it seems to retain more water than I expect. I was told it may need watering up to twice a day, but judging by the soil I haven't needed to water it for a couple of days at a time.

All this wouldn't concern me much, but I'm starting to lose leaves. In the last week it has lost five or six. Should I be watering more? Is this a sign of a different problem all together?

Additional details: It is indoors with indirect sunlight in the Seattle area.
Brand New Bonsai - Privet Imag0711
Brand New Bonsai - Privet Imag0712
Brand New Bonsai - Privet Imag0713

blumunki

Back to top Go down

Brand New Bonsai - Privet Empty Re: Brand New Bonsai - Privet

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:34 pm

the 2x a day watering scenario would apply if it were outside on hot summer days, but definitely not as an indoor indirect light plant.
and there is ALOT more to this subject that i won't go into regarding soil mixtures vs water retention vs environment which can get quite complicated, though it doesn't necessarily need to be complicated for someone new (such as myself not long ago)

sometimes the simple ways are the best ways...

i.e the best water meter is also the cheapest:

stick a chop-stick in the soil and leave it in there...
then every day or so pull it out and feel it...
if it is damp, stick it back and dont water...
if it is dry, stick it back and water.

walter pall has an easy to find 2 pt video on you tube about feeding, substrates (soil) and watering which lays things out in a pretty easy to understand manner.

btw - my guess would be too much water, rather than too little...
and while i know it is hard to do, try not to panic when it loses a few leaves as the situation is generally correctable.
and i am sure there will be advice forthcoming from others on this plant specifically.

hope that helps.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Outdoor tree.
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:07 pm

As Lancemac says, privet is an outdoor tree. Yours should be outside ALL the time. It will not survive for long if kept indoors.

At this point, yours looks healthy. It is normal for these, as more-or-less evergreen shrubs to lose a few leaves in the spring.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down