Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pot for tamarix

+2
JimLewis
leatherback
6 posters

Go down

Pot for tamarix Empty Pot for tamarix

Post  leatherback Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi All,

For about a year now, I have been working on a tamarix. I am developing it in a drooping style, Slightly hanging to a side..

I have to repot in spring, and would like to get a suitable pot for it, so I can take it to a club meeting in something better then a plastic tray Very Happy. I am thinking in the area of a semi-cascade pot, as these are moisture loving, and because of the droopy style.

I have found a pot, would this be a suitable match in your eyes? The pot is roughly to schale with the plant.

Pot for tamarix Tamari10
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Pot for tamarix Empty Re: Pot for tamarix

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:35 pm

I'd rather see a pot that allowed the tree to sit more to the right, so the tree leaned OVER the pot and not as much out of it.

I also think a brown unglazed pot would look better.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:36 pm

in my eyes, yes !

it would be YES ! if the lower band of color was darker, but that is a minor point.
perhaps some top dressing of a similar color mixed amongst some moss would help bring it together...
(or some golden-ish moss)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:11 pm

JimLewis wrote:I'd rather see a pot that allowed the tree to sit more to the right, so the tree leaned OVER the pot and not as much out of it.  

I also think a brown unglazed pot would look better.

Thx Jim,

Eventually I expect the flowers and subsequent resh growth each year to drop well below the rim of the pot, which is why the trunk is slightly slanted.. Very Happy

I was in doubt re. the color too Neutral
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:13 pm

beer city snake wrote:in my eyes, yes !

it would be YES ! if the lower band of color was darker, but that is a minor point.
perhaps some top dressing of a similar color mixed amongst some moss would help bring it together...
(or some golden-ish moss)

Thx. Will have a look-see-think Very Happy
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Maybe . . .

Pot for tamarix Jun110

This way there is a bit of soil under the slant of the tree and it doesn't look like it was falling out of the pot.  I may have "made" the pot a little too large -- but not much. Pot is by Dale Cochoy.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:35 pm

The foliage and growing it in the style you've chosen strike me as feminine.  I don't think a glazed pot would be out of the question either, do you think?
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Pot for tamarix Empty Comments

Post  Guest Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:49 am

JimLewis wrote:Maybe . . .

Pot for tamarix Jun110

This way there is a bit of soil under the slant of the tree and it doesn't look like it was falling out of the pot.  I may have "made" the pot a little too large -- but not much.  Pot is by Dale Cochoy.

I think Jims pot is an improvement in size otherwise I like your pot fwiw...
I would trim/prune away a little of the foliage near bottom in order to expose and show off the base/trunk of the tree.
I would also prune away some foliage inbetween branches to give a more defined look to each branch.
A good looking example of Bonsai Gardening, job well done

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:00 pm

I like Jim's suggestions as to the pot. I'd suggest considering moving it even closer to the right to clarify it's movement.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Thx Bolero. The green stuff at the bottom is mainly trhere to support root-development on the side: I have let some buds pop next to small roots that I want to fatten Very Happy. But this is like a well-fertilized lawm; You cut it. Turn around and it has regrown. I had 6 foot branches grow in 3 months Sad

Won't the blueish pot clash with the pinkish flowers?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:02 pm

I see it as complementing....blue/pink....kinda like the distinction between girl and boy babies Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Blue and Pink...sounds perfect. Outstanding and will compliment each other. Find a darker Blue not quite Navy for a backdrop when taking pictures with flowers in bloom...

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:54 am

Hehe,

Got close to some of the suggestions I think. Still learsning about this species though. It is hardy but all of the sudden sections may die. Last year we had a late frost which killed most of the branches..

Pot for tamarix 20190611
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:33 pm

It can be frustrating when Mother Nature does our pruning for us in unexpected ways! Thanks for the update!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down