Ficus Pumila

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ficus Pumila

Post  Bruce Winter on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:34 am

Ever the optimist eh? You plan on keeping in touch with whoever inherits it? It won't be THAT long.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Ficus pumila

Post  Bruce Winter on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:17 am

Here it is four months later. Like trim hiding bad carpentry, I pulled some small branches around from the back to try and fill in the gaping maw between the two right branches. And it's filled in a bit. Still waiting for more growth to make a more rounded crown.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Is the pumila branch more brittle? In a typical ficus, you could wire one of the two lower branches on the right to be a little higher and fill in that gap. Of course, I was thrown by how large you said this tree was. Perhaps the branches are simply too thick now.

Precarious

Back to top Go down

Ficus pumila

Post  Bruce Winter on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:28 am

David...the branches are like other ficus but there's only one low branch and I don't think it would look right to have the lowest branch higher than the next one up. It's tricky to manage. Each branch has thin viney tendrils on it at mostly not very convenient places so I have to move them around with very thin armature wire. If the sun ever comes out I'm looking for more leaves to loosen things up.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:09 pm

Bruce Winter wrote:

I wanted to wait 'till the new red leaves filled in to hide the space on the right where a branch graft failed but I'm on a run here finally able to post pictures thanks to Jim and Fiona. Haven't been able to do this since the original mighty IBC went down. Limited to only one image per post but I'm not complaining. It's really kind of messy but vines are like that.

This is the view that had me thinking there were two lower right branches. It is a wonderful tree, and considering it's growth habit... surely a LABOR of love Very Happy

Precarious

Back to top Go down

Ficus pumila

Post  Bruce Winter on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks David, I see what you mean. If there were enough tendrils on that shorter branch I could bring it up a bit but on both branches, all of them really, there are bare areas where I have to move leaves back and forth.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum