Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Systemic Insecticide do you use

+3
JimLewis
Kev Bailey
FrankP999
7 posters

Go down

Which Systemic Insecticide do you use Empty Which Systemic Insecticide do you use

Post  FrankP999 Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:09 pm

I am interested in hearing which systemic insecticide folks use for your pines and maples. Thanks.

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Which Systemic Insecticide do you use Empty Re: Which Systemic Insecticide do you use

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:21 pm

None. I spot treat problems as and when they occur with a treatment that is the most appropriate for the problem. This is kinder on your pocket, you, the environment and very likely your trees too.

Last edited by Kev Bailey on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Which Systemic Insecticide do you use Empty Re: Which Systemic Insecticide do you use

Post  JimLewis Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:33 pm

A-men, Kev. The key to a good pest management program is to use the least toxic alternative that works. Systemics are very powerful poisons and they tend to stay around for long periods of time. They do nothing that a much-less-toxic pesticide spray (or in the case of critters like spider mites, a hard spray of water) won't do.

In 99 cases out of 100 a spray that contains a pyrethrin -- applied just before dark -- will be all you need. And, since pyrethrins don't stick around, you're not offering any long-term damage to the environment or "good bugs." Just don't spray around a fish tank.

For caterpillars, a bacteria -- Bacillus Thuringiensis, or BT -- is a totally safe product.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Which Systemic Insecticide do you use Empty Which Systemic Insecticide do you use?

Post  bonsaisr Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:33 am

There are times when only a systemic insecticide/miticide will do the trick. I don't spray indiscriminately, only the plant that has the problem. I have been using Orthenex for a long time. It usually works, with minimal side effects. There seems to be a lot of concern that something like Orthenex is toxic, but it is only toxic to humans if used carelessly. I have not found it to be toxic to plants. On the other hand, when I tried one of those new, supposedly non-toxic sprays, it killed several bonsai.
I suspect the efficacy of various insecticides may be different in different locations. Try a few brands and see what works best for you.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Which Systemic Insecticide do you use Empty ..

Post  dorothy7774 Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:07 am

I am not convinced that systemic insecticides do not affect the growth of Mycorrhiza. I did some applications (Bayer) on Conifers ( a few Procumbens and 1 pine) and broadleaved trees. The broadleaved trees were pest free and did fine. The Conifers DID NOT MAKE IT. They slowly declined and eventually died. The soil of those trees was a bit compacted, so I can imagine the trees had been supported by yhe Mycorrhiza growth in the root system. That's just a thought.
I decided then not to use the systemic insecticide any longer, especially not on conifers. We do not have a Beatle problem here in SWFL or comparable applications to rely on systemics used on pines. And btw, the BAYER brand will not fight spidermites anyway..which I was not aware of when I initially used it. Oh well..

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Which Systemic Insecticide do you use Empty Which Systemic Insecticide do you use?

Post  bonsaisr Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Dorothy, you are committing the fallacy known as post hoc, ergo propter hoc; after this, therefore because of this. An insecticide is not a fungicide, & has no demonstrated or proven effect on mycorrhiza that I know of. The soil compaction or some other problem undoubtedly caused the demise of your conifers.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:14 pm

dorothy7774 wrote: We do not have a Beatle problem here in SWFL
So pleased to hear it, Dorothy - those pesky Scousers seem have gotten everywhere else over the years! Laughing

Sorry - gentle leg pull. I am forever in your debt for introducing me to the movie "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" which I hadn't watched until one of your other posts. Keep up the movie tips and more importantly keep up the brilliant bonsai ThumbsUp
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:46 am

bonsaisr wrote:Dorothy, you are committing the fallacy known as post hoc, ergo propter hoc; after this, therefore because of this. An insecticide is not a fungicide, & has no demonstrated or proven effect on mycorrhiza that I know of. The soil compaction or some other problem undoubtedly caused the demise of your conifers.
Iris

Thanks Iris, I did not think either the Bayer Systemic was a fungicide. However, the systemic is absorbed by the roots and that's when I don't know for sure that the systemic DID NOT hurt the trees. I will not use it on my conifers any more. I have other conifers which are in a similar soil for the last 3 years, they did not change a bit. The ones I treated started to show signs of distress about 4 weeks after the application. This is just what I experienced in my backyard. Perhaps the neighbors' dogs got on the benches and selectively decorated the trees..I don't know. Wink

Anyway, always appreciate your input.

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:57 am

fiona wrote:
dorothy7774 wrote: We do not have a Beatle problem here in SWFL
So pleased to hear it, Dorothy - those pesky Scousers seem have gotten everywhere else over the years! Laughing

Sorry - gentle leg pull. I am forever in your debt for introducing me to the movie "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" which I hadn't watched until one of your other posts. Keep up the movie tips and more importantly keep up the brilliant bonsai ThumbsUp

thumbs up You are a sport, Fiona, sister! Yeah, I meant beetle..sorry What a Face

-dorothy study Which Systemic Insecticide do you use Vw10
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:25 am

I have also used orthenex with very good results on quince, maple, elms ect...all deciduous though. Never tried on a conifer.

Acephate is the insecticide, triforine is the fungicide in orthenex. I use this every few weeks, or as needed always with a drop of oil & dish soap. On weeks I do not use insecticide I use a quick & easy weekly spray of some soap, and a drop of oil. Seems to work fine with no ill impact to the plants. In Oklahoma the aphids never take a break. Chaenomeles seem to be plagued year round. This winter I will be adding a 30:1 mix of lime sulfur/water to all trees as a dormant spray.

Hope this helps.
Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down