Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reviving Taxus

+2
JimLewis
leatherback
6 posters

Go down

reviving Taxus Empty reviving Taxus

Post  leatherback Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Yesterday I was at a friends' house. She had a big (3 connected 4 inch / 10cm trunks, as a raft) taxus which had been cut down a few times, to form a shapely bush in the garden. Some 6 weeks ago they dug it out of the garden and left it, where I found it yesterday. Sickly looking, it was not dying yet.

It went into my car, and today I spent most of the day cledaning, trimming the rootball. The last 4-6 inches of the roots were still fresh and alive. It is now in a half cement mixing container, about 2 feet across, with coarse lava-like substrate.

It is now in the shade, a piece of foil over it to keep the foliage from drying out too much etc.

What else could I do to get this to survive?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

reviving Taxus Empty Re: reviving Taxus

Post  JimLewis Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:42 pm

Keep it protected from all wind. A thick layer of Sphagnum over the top of the soil, also might help.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:13 pm

Give it some Asprin mate. Good for a root-ache! I'd replace the foil with plastic too, although I can't say why . . . . it somehow just feels better.

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  kirk@localbonsai.com Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Some foliar feeding via mist always seems to help; with a couple drops of superthrive in there.

-Kirk
kirk@localbonsai.com
kirk@localbonsai.com

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks guys!

Hm.. I suppose foil means something different in different parts of the world (And/or my non-native speech is showing: I have a thin tranparent plastic sheet pulled over it at the moment, allowing about 45 minutes of diretc sun in the morning and late evening, just as the sun peeks around the corners of a shed. I am thinking this may slightly increase temperature and therefor root-development?).

Anyway.. I snappped a picture just after soaking, cleaning, potting. Not the best overview, but you get some impression. And yes. THere will be a serious need of carving, IF in 12 months the tree is still green. And good news: Overnight the needles went from a dull to a fresh shiny surface. Obviously, it managed to get some water back into the system.

reviving Taxus Tax-111
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:54 am

Lovely material Leatherback! Glad to hear it has perked up a bit. Should have mentioned that Asprin has a form of salicylic acid in it, which as I understand it assists in root growth. I normally throw 2 extra strength Asprin into a jug of warm water, let it dissolve and then pour over the tree. Why 2? Who knows. Maybe causevthat's what it says on the box!  lol! 

Foil in my part of the world is the metallic tin stuff we cook in!

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:11 am

Thx Andrew,

The nephew of this one I brought home about 6 weeks ago, and is even more promising. Similar size & trunk, but no major cuts {visible}. (Biggest cut around 1 inch).

I had heard of the aspiring before. Do not have any at home, so will have to wait untill Monday (I have a big box in my office drawer. Tells you enough about my job, I'd say Wink )

Andrew Legg wrote:
Foil in my part of the world is the metallic tin stuff we cook in!

Ah, alu foil I'd call it Very Happy
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:20 am

Hey!!! We must work at the same place!

The other thing that seems to work well is willow tree branch cuttings in a bucket of water. The salicylic acid in the willow leaches into the water and the this water is used to water the plant. I had an Elea europeae Var Africana with no roots in willow water for six months, and it sprouted. It is now in a pot, and has gone from strength to strength sothe roots must be solid.

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:06 am

Would like to share a taxus sagga of my own... just to provide further confidence for you and your cast away friend...
Found ripped up (as yourself), took it home. I know taxus will reamin green for a long time after dead or removed from the tree, so I examined the roots and thaught ultimately all were dead. The root ball was very dry and it had been very hot the past few days, summer was in full swing. So, figuering nothing gained nothing lost, I tossed it down the side of the hill, near where the grass clippings, cut branches, and leaves end up. This is a rather shady spot mind you. Well mid fall while tossing some leaves just so happen to catch a glance of it through the bushes and noticed it had just put out new growth. Picked it up and there were fresh roots! Stuck it in the ground for the winter. This brutal winter came, had some die back. Thaught it was toast again since no spring flush. Was going to dig it up, but curiosity had me. Didnt put out a fulsh of growth till two weeks ago and now going strong, glad I left it be. So even through all that, it made it. Just a personal testament of the strength of this species. Sounds like your friend, at this this point, is traveling a much better path than the one in my care. Best of luck, please keep us updated. -Jacob
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:19 am

So.. You are saying.. TIme for the compost heap, and rig it up in 6 months, is that it Wink

But seriously: Thx, that gives some confidence in the survival ability!
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Are we swapping??? something for something... bounce
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Haha Neli. This is not the sort of thing you just pop in your handluggage and carry across continental divides!
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:22 pm

leatherback wrote:Haha Neli. This is not the sort of thing you just pop in your handluggage and carry across continental divides!
He! But you are the one that likes swapping... albino 
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:48 pm

really? don't think I have ever swapped trees
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 am

OK! I should have said we both like sending across borders...not sure you have done it yet... Very Happy but I know you would not mind one of my bougies... clown 
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:09 pm

True, Neli. Let's first wsee whether this one makes it.

I removed it from the container, as no response whatsoever (And I needed some space). So it is back in full ground for now. Noworries about over/under watering. And better frostprotection come winter. Next step in 12 months.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down