reviving my juniper

View previous topic View next topic Go down

reviving my juniper

Post  kingbean on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:03 pm

This is my itoigawa that got very waterlogged last year and as a result started dropping foliage .
so I had to pot it in some sphagnum moss and not sure when to re-pot in soil as it may still need to recover.

kingbean

Back to top Go down

Re: reviving my juniper

Post  Joe Hatfield on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:56 pm

The tree looks healthy enough to me to be potted in soil. Seems very full actually. I'm not an expert thought.

I'm a little confused as to why it's in sphagnum only. Sphagnum holds a lot of water compared to the soil I would use for my Shimpaku. I assume you had a lot of root damage and you are trying to recover as many roots as possible. Can you elaborate for me? Smile

-JOe

Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  kingbean on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:39 pm

well sphagnum moss creates a lot of room for air to get to the roots it does hold a lot of water but the roots can breath. Im going to see if the roots have plenty of feeder roots and that they are white before I re-pot.

kingbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 pm

It certainly looks healthy enough. I think that a quick visual inspection should confirm that it is ready for a repot.

Joe, sphagnum is recommended as an emergency recovery material by Peter Chan. He reports trees that have lost all their roots due to root rot and have been rescued using this method.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Great info gents, Thanks for the elaboration.

Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:48 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum